Author Topic: Renovation Time  (Read 57468 times)

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Renovation Time
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »
Fantastic job, and a nice "save", have you put the clear lacquer on yet ?

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »

Yes Den, its got that 2k in a can stuff on. Just waiting for my chrome trim to arrive now. Cant believe that my original petrol cap cleaned up as well as it did, its one or 2 pits but otherwise looks like new...amazing....needs a new rubber though.

Pipes are fitted, all my painting and stuff is done...just gotta put the carbs on now. Oh no, go to bleed the brakes aswell, but cant do that until I can get the right bars because I may need a longer brake pipe if I cant.

Must get some polish next to get my oily hand prints off all my shiny chrome...haha

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2011, 08:54:51 AM »
 Getting nearer and nearer...but dont these little jobs stack up. I want to keep my old original number plate, no particular reason its just a yellow one but its aluminium embossed and unusual in that its 3 lines "abc 123 d". The pic below is not long after I bought the bike and I still have the same plate and I want to get a mudflap like that aswell. Will be looking out for another tank and sidepanels - I should of done it Brown.. ::) I was still living at home in this pic. Actually, as it has the K3 pipes I must of had it 2 years allready.

Took me all night last night to finish and fit the carbs....of course then I had to fire it up, so I get my new cables out , they're too short..!!. I never checked but I'm sure I ordered USA spec cables.  oh well fit the old ones..I polish up the pipes to avoid staining them, fit the oil filter, fill it up with oil, fit new choke cable, miles too long, fit old one again. Hook up Temporary fuel bottle, fill up, petrol pisses out of number 2 carb but a couple of taps with a screwdriver handle stops it. Then it comes out of number 3 ..tap tap stops it.Wipe up quickly.
 Turn key on oil light comes on and seems very bright then goes pop...fit new bulb...another 10 mins because the rubber holder split.

Finally ready...press button expecting lovelyness...instead get mis-firing..pop bang..hellish eratic crap. oooh dear, sod it,  what have I done.
 Have a bit of think and a bit of a stare at it, pour in some more petrol and fire it up again....loads better this time, i dont know what that was..??,  still the odd pop from one cylinder, tickover is very erratic. My old carbs were better than these...!!!! Oh well I'll get the vac gauges on em and see if that helps. Its had its heat up and cool down, I'll check tappets, points etc and have another go tonight.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:56:43 AM by z1100r »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
You could ask these guys about a plate:

http://www.pl8s.co.uk/Framptons-Motorcycle-Plates.php

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »

Oh nooooh...I dont want a new one..!!! the original is not in bad nick its just that the holes in the mounting plate dont line up so I have to drill more. Mind you the ones in the mounting are awful all over the place things anyway....I should have and will eventually weld them up. Drill some more for now.

I like the fact that some key parts make this bike look like it always did. Thats why I want the same handlebars...they appear unobtainable though, I've bought 3 pairs of bars now..thats

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »
Well I'm one happy chappy. I stripped the new carbs completely and found a couple of things...needles were in top groove, god knows why, mine were in centre groove. 2 of the primaries were solid with something, I couldn't clear them out, it was like they hadn't been drilled in the first place.
 So I just swapped the lot out my old carbs and set the needles to middle. Shoved it all back on and the results were superb..back to normal and sounds great with the 4 pipes, strangely its noisier than my 4-1. I remembered what I did with my main jets in the end..I drilled them 1 size at a time when I was tuning it. I had loads of 90's but full sets of 100's 105's 107.5's 110's etc would of cost a fortune and I allready had the drills......trouble is I've lost the piece of paper that I wrote the final size down on and the marker pen on the float bowl has long gone, so I just stuck the drilled 90's in the new carbs. The bike will never be sold so who cares.

Now the next problem, its not charging properly, 12.9v at the battery at anything above 3,000 revs. It never had this problem before, maybe an earth or something with all this powdercoat or maybe one of the jenny wires has come adrift when I was messing routing  the starter motor wire. Rotor magnetises OK, its just not producing at the battery. Rectifier and voltage control box were OK before and I do have spares so shouldn't take me long whatever it is.

Just handlebars and brake bleeding now then....was going to take it to local bike meet tomorrow night but I think thats out. MOT Friday now instead of tomorrow dinner aswell. Must take it out for a bit of a whizz before IOM in 10 days time. Suppose I'll be carb balancing and brake bleeding tomorrow night aswell and job done - rusty handlebars will have to stay for now.

It does actually look like a new bike....not what I intended but I'm well chuffed with it. All stainless fasteners except 5 rusty bolts That I've ordered and should arrive next week.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »

I am getting seriously fed up now...The bike is running like a dream..purring over at 800 rpm with no clonks ...running lovely..just like it did 30 years ago.
 Trouble is I cant bleed the sodding brakes. Its just took me 3 hours to bleed the front brakes...cant someone make parts right these days. I bought a collection of stainless bleed nipples from hel about 5 years ago for my rd's but included a few for the Kawa and Honda at the same time. The Honda ones are wrong....!!!! FFS they are 0.5mm to big on the shoulder before the taper. I spent an hour trying to get fluid to come out the bleed nipple. In the process I nearly stripped the master cylinder again. It turned out that the hel bleed nipples were 0.5mm too fat just before the taper and no fluid could pass them unless the nippl

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2011, 07:19:12 AM »
Check the resistance between pairs of yellow wires into the generator as sometimes the soldered connections can give up, also i have seen mechanical damage (dropping type) of the windings.
Probably the regulator points sticking is the most common fault or a lack of removing powder coat at an earting point. Some where on the US site is the Hinda description of how the charging system works--I know its there i just not sure where

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »
Do you mean this one Bryan?

I think you sent it to me in the first place.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »
Here are the diagrams.

What idiot set the forum attachment limit to 5?
Oh, that'll be admin.
Oh, that's me...

I have hi(er)-res versions of these if anyone would like me to email them.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »

Just had a nights sleep and a few beers so all is well with the Honda again. Except you try to do a job without getting brake fluid everywhere and what happens....oh never mind its done now and everything is washed down...no real damage. The goldwing master cylinder and hel pipes work a treat, dont normally like braided hoses because they give the brakes such a wooden solid feel at the lever (I like a bit of spongy feel) but these seem OK.

Thanks for those diagrams, love reading stuff like that. excellent.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »
 Handle bar problem solved....I 'adjusted' the
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:13:43 AM by z1100r »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »
That's interesting what you say about "brake sponge" I think brakes need that as well and too many confuse that with brake power and fade resistance, lever feel is critical especially on road tyres in the wet.

I new somebody who had an R1, just had it painted yellow american race colours, new six-pot calipers hoses monster discs etc, first ride out in the wet and grabbed the brake, Tink-loc-crash and trashed all the plastic!

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »

Its daft to have a brake lever thats solid....no manufaturer makes them like that and of course they could if they wanted too. I have an RD500 track bike with the best brakes in the world for a road bike. They are of course not RD500 brakes..the bike has a complete 1998 R6 front end with 'blue spot calipers', stock rubber hoses and new Yamaha pads, brakes dont get much better. I'm not just talking about stopping power I'm talking about the whole experience of braking, I've yet to ride anything with as good all round braking as those early blue spot R6's. Thundercats and thunderaces are blue spots aswell but they aren't the same, they have a metal brake pipe bypass that the R6 doesn't have. I  have a Thunderace and its brakes are OK but not in the same league as the R6.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Oh forgot...The BSA A65 high rise bars did arrive but very disappointing...high rise my arse.

I appear to have gone mad buying handlebars left right and centre but its OK I have bikes for all of them. I have a Matchless 500 Hells Angel bike which needs the 8" rise bars I bought, and the BSA bars will fit perfect on my original 250 leaner bike (Moto-Guzzi TS 250 Electronica). So I haven't wasted the money - I'm too tight to do that.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal