Author Topic: Renovation Time  (Read 55289 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Renovation Time
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
I have to hand it to you, that is a very fine looking machine!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »
If it's a K0 seat and in good nick, it's worth about
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
 Thats what I paid for it....but I stupidly paid the same for a DS new pattern seat first  a) because I thought it had a plastic base b) because at the time I had nothing else as my base was completely rotten.

When I get back I'm going to pinch the foam off my original seat which is surprising good and retrim both of them. I got the DS effort to fit using all the rubbers off my old seat and to be fair it now sits nicely on all of them, however its is too short at the front and needs lengthening on the sides about 10mm and some extra shaped foam building in from lower front corners up. Basically the top of the seat touches the tank but then tapers away leaving a huge gap down the sides.  It looks horible, you can see straight through a 1" gap.  Also the chrome trim fits awfully, and at the back the base hasn't been trimmed square, its low on one side which also looks crap.

I can sort both of them though...the K0 seat came with a new cover strap and trim thrown in, so in the end I'l have 2 as new seats.

Now another problem, my mates are saying I must be mad taking it to IOM - its too good to put on the ferry. They dont look after them too well apparently and to tie them down its just a big strap ratcheted down over the seat, screwing the side panels on old bikes. I dont mind trashing it using it but I'd be pissed off if gets knackerd on a ferry.

oh, new rear brake lever arrived from the states today..allready on..lovely.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #183 on: May 31, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »
just a big strap ratcheted down over the seat

That's all I've ever seen on any ferry...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
That's all I've ever seen on any ferry...

The reason I always bring my own tie-downs when going to the Isles...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »

If I'm going on the Honda I'm travelling light....just a rucksack with 5 pairs of socks and boxers, 5 T-shirts, a spare pair of jeans and my modern trainer like walking boots. Shower gel and tooth brush.
    No room for ratchet straps, socket sets, waterproof covers, hairdriers, straighteners, or my pulling outfit..!!  ;D ;D 

Had another whizz about on it last night but still using the 'Z' for work. I'm driving my missus up the pole with, "Should I go on it or not..?, what if..?, I've not tested it enough yet..! ",  she said, "3 sodding months ago it was a pile of rusty worthless crap, just go and have fun on it, what can happen that you cant fix, now shut up about it". So thats it Its definately going.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »
No room for ratchet straps...

Take the non-ratchet types instead (as used for fladbedding on trailer) and stuff them into your socks  ;)
(serious: I fill my deck-shoes in the panniers with items like phone charger, beart-trimmer and such...  ;D)

An I agree with your wiffer, take the thing out on the road, it's begging for it, seriously... 8)
They'll only break when sitting around anyway...

Enjoy!
STOC #637

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »

Of course its right I should just abuse it as normal...but I dont half miss my old knacker now. I just went back to the front of this  thread to have a look at it how it was and I think I had a moving 'Titanic' moment 'cruising' through those old pics :o  ;D Ridiculous but there is something to be said for having a bike your comfortable on, like riding, and dont give a shit about the appearance of.
   When I took this bike to the TT last was in 1991, it was an old knacker with a shagged 550 motor that I used to fly around pissing about on it, superb fun. This time I've got to treat it the same as last time. Dont be surprised if it looks a bit different when it comes back..!!! I think I should of waited another 10 years before I did this bike up.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
I think all the memories flashing up while riding it over there again will bring a broad smile all over your face  ;) 

The best pics and movies are stored in your head.
STOC #637

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2011, 10:05:09 AM »

Blimey..another set of useless handlebars turned up last night...forgot I bought these...ooops.!! They are so close to my old ones but alas still no cigar. hehe.

The proper fork seals and anothert tappet cover arrived aswell...seals are much better looking things than the pattern efforts I fitted, those dust seals are expensive...!!

Took the camcover off last night to re-tighten the head - its got a homemade copper head gasket and I have to do this If i dont want leaks. All went well, re-did tappets and put it all back together.

I thought right....lets go give it some shit, make sure she can still take it before chancing it in IOM. I sure gave it some welly...flat out everywhere took it upto 120mph on speedo down a slight hill and screamed it through all the gears for half an hour. One problem raised its ugly head...the rear shocks are shit, rock hard and cause the wheel to skip and the clutch to let go. At 120mph it weaves like mad. It was always a bit weavey flat out but not as bad as it is now. Could have something to do with cheap cheng Shin tyres. haha

I had a bounce up and down on the rear and it is very hard even on softest setting...its not the spring its the damping. I rode down a bumpy lane and it was very uncomfortable. Might put the old Koni's back on for now and just use these crappy shiny things for show.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20:30 AM »
You took Cheng Shings that fast!!!! You must have a death wish, that is unless they have improved 1000% since i was fitting them----would only fit them to C50 & 70's the 90's were to powerful for them

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:55 AM »
 I was a dickhead Bryan....I didn't think I'd be using the bike that much once it was done and didn't see the point in
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:24:45 AM by z1100r »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »
Don't sweat it, last time i was fitting tyres in anger was over 30 years ago and I'm sure they have improved, just had to make the comment!!

I have yet to find tyres that handle better than TT100's but the rear dont last long and to get the best you need the skinier 4.10x18 rear as against the 4.25/85x18.

I have been cheating for years and buying from central tyres swearing blind i am a dealer and paying with card on order, but then havent bought any for a few years now so they may have tightened up.

Other ones i personaly like are the metzeler's using ME77 rear and ME11 front, I think you have to put tubes in a tubless but that seems the norm now

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »

Do you know what the most pleasing thing about this bike is...its come to light that my family and non biker friends hated it and thought it was an horible looking thing.

Oh not anymore...!!! they all love it now dont they. My daughter came home from holiday the other night and was talking to my Missus and her mates in the garden as I returned from my mega blast. All heads looked left and my daughter came prancing  over ..wow dad... is that that horible brown thing, i hated that bike it was awful....!! The rest of them admitted to dis-liking my old Honda with various comments about its horibleness.

Convinced me that all ya gotta do to impress a bird is give her something 'shiny'.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
...all ya gotta do to impress a bird is give her something 'shiny'.

truly spoken...  :D
STOC #637

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal