Author Topic: Water coming from exhaust  (Read 6420 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Water coming from exhaust
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
I now have my rebuilt f2 engine running smoothly , but i have a few leaks one is from the neutral light switch, an easy fix i think, but the other is a huge amount of water pissing out the exhaust collector box join, i can not believe how much comes out, i have noticed a bit here and there on my K1 but this is lots on the F2 , i cant take the bike for a ride yet as i have cut the frame and need to instal a frame kit so i can ride it, i suppose its crying out for a long run to burn it off, all the stop and starting is not that good for iti suppose
Does any one elses bike do this?
Pete   

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Water coming from exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
Until the engine/exhaust system gets nice and hot you will get this, water is a product of combustion, this is why I do not start up my bike unless I am going to get it to full working temperature.
Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »

Pete

Neutral light switch leak is either the O-ring or the internal sealing plate.  The O-ring is a slightly odd size - 18mm x 3mm - which is the same as the one that goes round the oil galley feed tube inside the front of the engine.  If you've used a generic o-ring, chances are it's 18mm x 2mm or similar and isn't sealing properly.  If it's not that, you'll probably need to look for a replacement switch 'cos they internal plate isn't repairable.

As for riding the bike, see my notes in the oil flow post.  Riding the bike around without the removed frame section won't cause you any trouble.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
If I remember rightly the tab that retains the neutral switch can go on two ways, get it wrong and it will not seat correctly, I had a  problem with this.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
Nearly all my bike have done this, I found it worse on bikes that have 1 exhaust per cylinder as it takes longer to warm up.   On a Shadow (NOT a Vincent!) that I owned the silencers were inclined upwards, I was told by a honda dealer to drill a hole at the lowest point of the system to let the water out to prevent the system rusting through on short journies.

Rob

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
As i remember you have a NOS standard exhaust and they are fairly restrictive with a lot of backpressure which dont help the warmup

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »
As i remember you have a NOS standard exhaust and they are fairly restrictive with a lot of backpressure which dont help the warmup

I wish my exhaust was NOS, it is quite good but nowhere near new, the headers were only used on a bike for a year before the owner took them off , the end can looks really nice till you see the underside where there is a big load of gravel rash, but on the whole its quite good
Pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »
If you are confident of no underlying problems with oil etc then run it at about 2000rpm for about 15mins and it should dry the water out of the system and get it all hot enough. DON'T keep blipping the thottles though as the accelerator pump dumps enough fuel to make it go gltch free under max load and is far too much to burn properly without load.

Didn't some of the Honda pipes have a small hole at lowest point to let out moisture like this? don't know if F2 has one, I've got one stored so I'll have a look.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
Forgot to mention pete, water from the exhaust is actually a very Good sign.. next time you are in a tesco carpark or asda or morrisons...  ( I nearly didn't put morrisons cos You allready got the Idea,but then I remembered morrisons do really good rottiseried chickens that you can eat immediately on leaving the shop) Anyways, take a look at car tail pipes, (and you will soon not be able to help it!) an engine thats running and combusting well will kick out water from the exhaust. Cars are a good example in car parks cos you can see the water dripping out easy on the floor. The ones that dont usually have black sooty tailpipes (because they are running rich) If an engines is well tuned in terms of air to fuel, the air contains water vapour, and water cannot be compressed,only changed, in your motor to steam which gets kicked out, condenses again back to water and pisses out your exhaust... a "dry" tail pipe is a sign a motor is running lean.... not good especially on these old girls  of ours......The K2 has drain holes (which have to be kept clear) underneath on each pipe to stop water collecting there when the bike has been switched off, but the advice is not just to start it and let it idle and then switch off but to make sure its been well into operating temp for a while before you do.......
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
mistake...meant to say a totally dry tailpipe can point to running rich......(not enough air) was still thinking about the chicken....mmm..."extra tasty" is my favourite..

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
 ::) yes water in the exhaust is a sign of good combustion ,thats why the four into four exhausts rotted from the inside out so quickly,unknown to HONDA at the time they never really get up to  temperature,unlike the four into one exhausts which run a lot hotter. and i did read in some anorak magazine ,that for every gallon of petrol burnt in the internal combustion engine it will produce 3/4 of a gallon of water :o

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »
ah steff your in wales too???

Offline SamCR750

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
Perhaps your head gasket is leaking and letting water from the cooling system into the cylinders, just a thought.

Sam. :-\

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
cooling system??

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
He's pulling yer leg  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal