Author Topic: air compressor  (Read 5076 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
air compressor
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »
just bought a nice compressor on offer at screwfix,
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: air compressor
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
Hope to see you painting soon bro?
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:36:29 AM »
I couldn't be without my compressor after 10 years of ownership. It has so many uses now.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:19 AM »
My compressor switches off Exactly when the needle redlines at 150psi..... I like to say to unsuspecting mates..."oh, just watch that for me will you, and whatever you do, Don,t let that needle touch the red line where it says danger" and then leave them watching it..... the mounting panic as the needle creeps closer is worth its weight in gold, and just as the panic reaches maximum.... PUTCHOO, it switches off with a final frightning noise.... Up in the air they goes...  It was worth the money for that alone, never mind paint spraying, air tools an all.
There is probably something wrong with me, I think I was born "a normal child" but enviromental factors have played a pivotal role in determining this awfull outcome.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »
yes kacey am gonna attempt to spray, a long time since i did any, is it still cellulose paint? or will i need breathing masks for 2k? very usefull piece of kit.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
AH, Mickwinf,
It is now illegal for anyone to sell or supply 1K paints (which took over from cellulose) It is possible to aquire cellulose for "classic" vehicles but vey very expensive....
After quite a few years of unexplained illness, I accidently came accross "Organic solvent syndrome"
( also called Dutch painters syndrome/disease)
People mistakenly believe that 2K paint is safe....it is not, in fact it is Hideously dangerous, not just when spraying, but when the parts that have been sprayed are drying or "venting off their solvents"
So, to put your newly sprayed parts in an enclosed space like a garage or a bedroom or a shed with your self is also dangerous.
It has always been neccessary to use a respirator with an isolated air supply (not from a compressor) when spraying 2K ...a lot of folk dont, and think that because they have "got away with it" it is OK.
There is evidence (especially so with Isocyanates) that a "cumalative effect" ( low dose over a period of time) can cause illness.
The human body finds it very difficult to expunge these chemicals, and they build up, that means that you could be spraying randomly for ages, on and off, and say your body has got 68% of a toxic dose stored up..
couple of years down the line you could walk into someones garage who is spraying and breath in another 32% of a toxic dose..and then wonder why you are so ill after only being in that garage for ten minits say.
Unlike, the netherlands and some other parts of europe,
Due to pressure from ICI and courtaulds ( who use organic solvants in the production of rayon) and other big corporations, the british government has been pressurised into not accepting findings on this issue.
Be safe spraying, suit up with a paper suit and tape the ankles and wrists onto gloves ( so you cant absorb it through the skin) and find an idependent air supply... I reckon diving bottles for air might be found cheap.....maybe someone else has a cheaper solution...or a better one??
Hope this helps... If it stops just one person from illness..job done.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:22 PM »
hmmmm thanks for info, think i might pay someone else to do it! Dont want to die just yet!

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
Managed to acquire a compressor from a mate, where it was replace with a bigger unit. Time to play soon and see what use it can be put to.
I would like to power a small bead/grit blaster, but uncertain if it will supply enough puff

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »
Anyone want any cheap air tools and compressor. Have a look at these Aldi offers. Starts tomorrow

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday11.htm?WT.z_src=main

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
Have had an Aldi compressor for 4 or 5 years which works fine for my occasional needs. However the various accessories I got at the same time ain't brill.

Tyre inflater works but gauge readings should be seen as humorous reading only! Socket wrench was a waste of time too. However as all Aldi gear - 3 year warranty. Believe the compressor is made / imported by Wolf tools.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

HondaFour

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »
Try and get the biggest one you can afford as the free air delivery needs to be good for spraying a bigger job or the compressor will run all the time, not godd for its long term health.

Offline curro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
I do a lot of 2k spraying (i run a mobile smart repair business). A compressor (if big enough) equiped with a co-aliscent filter will provide clean air which must then be run to an airfed mask together with its own filter. This is safe.
Dont do as i did when i started by trying to use one of these 'gerson' type disposable masks sold on fleabay as safe! You will eventually become sensitised to the vapour (which means you will never be able to go near solvents or 2k again) or worse develop asthma.
I use a Hydrovane rotary compressor in my van, through a 3stage devilbiss filter, then to an airfed full mask (and i only spray outdoors), 2k is, as said previously,  NASTY STUFF!  I feared i learned this lesson too late as my lungs are pretty bad now.
My advise for what its worth is 'leave it alone'!

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal