Author Topic: RS Bike paints can supply cloud silver but.....  (Read 8669 times)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
RS Bike paints can supply cloud silver but.....
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
Here is the reply I got from Rs bike paints....(UK based)
Hi Kacey

Thank you for the e-mail enquiry.

We can definitely help you with the colour Cloud Silver Metallic, Honda code NH35M.

The paint does need a gloss lacquer on top. Our lacquers are petrol resistant for a few moments but as modern fuel is so strong if any fuel was to spill it would need to be removed immediately.

You can order on line and the link is
http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en/shop-paints.php?colourscheme=3615&6822=on or you can call on 01707 273219 between 9am and 5pm.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Sally

RS Bike Paint Ltd

Tel: 00 44 (0)1707 273219
sales@rsbikepaint.co.uk
www.rsbikepaint.com
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline SamCR750

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: RS Bike paints can supply cloud silver but.....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »
Problem solved. ;)

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »
I thought the original quest was for a high temperature paint for crankcases/head/barrels etc ?

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
As you can see RS paints are saying their Laquer to go on top of colour is only "petrol resistant for a few moments"  Okay then thats not really good enough. BUT we do have the colour, so now I just find a fuel resistant engine laquer from somewhere else to go on top of RS's correct colour. I have re-emailed them asking what type of paint it is....cellulose etc....then I can choose the fuel resistant laquer from somewhere else......and most engine laquers are VHT (very high temp)
Spitfire,
This quest is just for the crankcases, the barrells and heads are (and allways have been) a different colour.
As the crankcases do not get as hot as the barrells and head, the base colour should be able to take the heat OK.  RS produce colours for bikes that go back to 1902, and do all the candy colours for Honda cb750's and at amazing prices...I paid twice as much elsewhere for my tanks paint! (boo hoo)
 Sooo, as many places do high temp engine laquer...we should be in business for not only the correct colour, but also a surfice that will take fuel, oil and not be troubled.......

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »
Here's some info on the Halfords pertrol resistant lacquer.

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »

I dunno about the previous answer, but I found Halfords resistant lacquer wasn't when I used it around the neck of a tank . . . I'm pretty sure it was undone by vapours.

Resistant maybe, but proof - nope.

. . . not sure that's what you want to hear, but hope it helps . . .
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:37:20 PM by the-chauffeur »

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:07:22 AM »
All info and experiences especially with products is what we need to hear bud, thanks... I am not over worried though , I would have been if you would have said drips from the petrol pump nozzle had took the laquer off..... 
I think the crankcases are not going to suffer from vapour and vapour pressure in a single area like the neck of the tank..
The neck of the tank gave me quite a few rethinks when I sprayed mine.. I knew that wherever I painted up to would leave an edge where fuel would eventually get under... And not wanting to get paint in the tank, deciding where that edge should be was a puzzle.... I thought if I went right over the lip onto where the seal is, then fuel would definately start on that edge straight away, but if I just painted up the vertical edge, then should that start to flake it would be seen straightaways...  I went for the first option there.
ANYWays,
back to the crankcases....
A quick search in the Uk has revealed that it seems very easy to buy VHT clear laquer in an aerosol..but a can seems elusive.... The only one I have found so far is Halfords clear engine laquer.....
I should post up me pics of the tank restoration.....
Hmmm Hope I can find em!

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:26:53 AM »
 I dont understand this....hundreds of bikes have been painted using RS paints. They have existed for quite a while now. I cant believe what that women said. They must surely do something suitable for petrol tanks....!! You mean they do all the Candy colours for old Honda petrol tanks but fail to supply anything to prevent petrol damaging it, narrgh...thats wrong..!!

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
  Z1100r  no..bro..CRANKCASES.... they can supply cloud silver...but check the email as to what they said.....

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »

Nah . . . it's not that straightforward.

I've heard/seen plenty of theories on painting engines, and there seem to be very few methods of painting that result in a finish that will withstand fuel drips in the same way as a factory finish.  Most of the over-the-counter paints available now are water soluble, which really doesn't help - and although I said the Halfords stuff lifted with vapours, the point I was trying to illustrate was that although it might be splash resistant, but won't stand up to a leaky fuel tap left overnight.

IIRC 2 pack paint over etch primer together with and lacquer will give about the only finish that's likely to be tough enough to stand up to fuel spills.  And if you can find someone who'll do it, get them to use an older lacquer that's not water based.  Either that, or properly heat treated hot paint (by which I mean cooking it at progressively higher temperatures to cure it over a period of a few days).  That said, you may have no choice with the head and barrels 'cos whatever you use will need to withstand up to about 300deg c.

Good luck.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
Only the base colour in this instance is water based (cloud silver) RS are offering up the same two pack laquer (synthetic) that they use with their candy colours for tanks..(and sidies)
I haven't heard of any complaints from folks who have had their tanks painted that the laquer is lifting after spilling fuel from a pump on it...  I have many two pack laquers going back in time from pre VOC compliant days and even some Parsons laquer (cellulose) from the seventies...
But I havent got any satin left...
So, I will acid etch prime the cases, use RS's base cloud silver, and two-pack satin laquer over... And see how it stands up..  I do take your point on board about a leaking fuel tap, but I think once two pack laquer is fully cured it will be OK.......oh IF I did have a leaking fuel tap, I would be in dire straights though because the bike is in me living room....... ooops..( If a very dishevelled old biker falls out of the sky , clothes in rags, and pants on fire, into anyones garden in the night, holding a pair of cb750 k2 handlebars, moaning "me K2 me k2, it's all gone" that will be me, please feed, brew and cig me, and hide me from the authorities) lol.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »

;D

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
Slightly off topic, but there seems to be a growing problem with paints being effected by petrol. This is because of new legislation where petrol now contains a certain percentage of ethanol and this was increases recently (to 10% I believe). This causes the problem with the paint.

I have used Simonize engine enamel for the last engine I painted, but have not spilt petrol on it. (hope it never happens to a great extent)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:35:21 AM »
Seamus, thats totally NOT off topic....thanks.. This is the sort of info thats good to hear..
So, their dicking around with the fuel again eh.....
I saw an interview not long ago with some Iraqi dudes ( do Iraqi's have dudes I hear you ask?) yep, they were just dudes, anyways, they said since the yanks had been there, their fuel that used to come in three "types" that they called "grades"  grade one; very clean and clear, grade two; yellowy but still good.. and grade three; (dudes did a sort of disgusted gesture when grade three was mentioned) a sort of nasty brown colour that made their motors run bad, anyways, once they had the three choices but now they got no choice its either three or nowt...
that made me think... hang on.. I am sure fuel in this country used to be as clear as a mountain spring and now its a horrid brown colour that leaves carbs gunked up an all........ and we get charged a fortune for it.
I bet the ethanol is to help clean it up. I bet the ethanol does as you say damage paint more easy than just petrol.........thanks.. will take that into account.....

Offline SamCR750

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »
Any pure alcohol will damage most types of paint. Ethanol is a type of alcohol and like Methanol will damage paint.
It's not a new idea mixing alcohol with petrol. In the 50s and 60s, we had fuels called National Benzol and Cleavland Discol which had alcohol blended with the petrol. It's done to raise the octane rating in cheap petrol. (so called good for the enviroment) :-\

Sam. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal