Author Topic: Noob to this forum  (Read 9141 times)

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Noob to this forum
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 07:05:26 AM »
They can stick to their financed, midlife crisis, overchromed cruisers. Do you know them too? They have the Harley's, Vulcan's or any type of candy-looking cruiser and spend more time putting their clothing together, to look the part, then doing any maintenance on the actual bike. They'll spot you on an older bike and talk to you for an hour about their brother that had a moped in the '60's. You're just trying to get back on the road after a quick fill up and oil check. There are a ton of those fellas and their matching leather wives on the road over here. They gather at coffee shops and talk all night.Good resale though, on their low km bike!
Hopefully you can relate, otherwise, I might just be taken as a bitter biker that would like to see more appreciation for the older stuff!
-Trent
Trent we have them, oh boy do we have them!

Particularly H*rley riders, most of whom seem to be accountants, solicitors, doctors etc. going through a 'mid-lifer' by buying the most expensive penis extension they can afford and riding it like a little old lady. What's worse is during the summer in Scotland they arrive in packs, along with the Gold-winger's in their arm chairs towing dinky little matching trailers!

Ever seen the film 'Wild Hogs'?  :D :D :D
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Noob to this forum
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »
cbnovascotia, NO, you just get given the term "bike polisher" untill you have done more posts..!!
When you have done a very lot of posts you get given the term "expert"
I believe ( probably unwisely) that when you have reached 1.12 million posts you get given the term;
"Supreme Lord of the single camshaft" and no one is allowed to argue with you or the moderators will intervene and demote them to the very lowly "I look in shop windows at shiny things that I'm not allowed to buy" avatar, which,( as you may imagine) would be embarrasing.
A quick word on Harleys,
In the seventies when I worked in a motorcycle shop, some folk did want to buy a Harley brand of motorcycle. BUT, Harley would not sell to the UK (they must have been embarressed about their product I think) Anyways, for these poor lost souls that did want a Harley brand of motorcycle more bad news was learned. If they did go and secretly import a Harley motorcycle, Harley would not send parts to the UK, thus making it a silly thing to do, to secretly import a Harley motorcycle.( Harley must also have been embarressed about the quality of their parts or something , not wanting to sell to the Uk an all)
So, for some seventies motorcyclists, this became a matter of principle..the "Not ever wanting to own a Harley then"
In my hayday,
Having any motorcycle was a good thing, made even more so if people thought it was (a)fast (b) looked good (c) shiny.
The reasons for having a motorcycle did vary , but on the whole they were as follows;
(a) to get to and home from the pub without walking or buses.
(b) to impress the girlies.
(c) to take the girlies to the pub or home from the pub without the need for walking or buses.
(d) to go out at the weekends for big rides with the girlies.
(e) to go out at weekends for big rides with the said girlie riding pillion.
(d) and (e) are not the same thing.
There appeared ( at the time) to be only one problem, and that was this....
money.
Money was in short supply, so a constant "juggle" had to take place, between Fuel, and beer, you needed fuel to get to and back from the beer, it was uncool to run out of fuel and have to push you motorcycle with the girlie walking next to you...this is not what girlies wanted to be seen doing.
BUT, if you put in to Much fuel, then you might not be able to buy beer, and the girlie might have to buy her own beer.
this is something that the girlie did not like doing too much and made them complain sometimes.
Or, you might have to make your beer last for a very long time, ( which some of us learnt to be very good at) But you did not want the girlie to make her beer last for a very long time, in fact you wanted to get as much down her as possible, in the given time , in the hope of accomplishing (d) above.
Nobody, Nobody at all, had a "Harley credit card"
Honda goldwings were not called Honda goldwings, they were called "armchairs"
Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle, was deemed as odd and would not get you a girlie.

Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal