Author Topic: has anyone restored their clocks...  (Read 6328 times)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
has anyone restored their clocks...
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
Guys, have any of you restored your clocks on a cb750K2? if so, what faces did you use, what colour for the tip of the needles, and what finish for the black cases themselves? All and every input gratefully received...  also if using a replacement speedo, any thoughts on changing the milage to what was on the original one? Is this OK even? Thanks. oh forgot to mention...all the above for as near concourse restoration as possible...mostly.
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone restored their clocks...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »
Here's some info on this subject.
http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/speedo/spedo1.htm

I refinished the black on mine using my airbrush and Humbrol gloss enamel that I normally use on my model kits !

Cheers

Den
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:28:53 PM by Spitfire »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
Thanks Guys.... I keep forgetting to mention "in the UK" wow that 72 k2 just fetched

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »
Spitfire
Ah a fellow kit basher.
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »
 ;) yes i have opened my CB750 clocks to clean and service internal parts as they are plastic the bases can be trimmed with a stanley knife (not for the faint hearted have a few beers first)i do have a new pair of faces to put on an old faded pair of spare clocks that i have, i will get round to do them some day, yours are metal easy to open but are real buggers to put back together  again,i did open a pair of k1 clocks years ago and they are still in bits, its like trying to put the lid back on a sardine can  ::) yes a saw the gold k2 on ebay very low mileage as well (sorry now i put 3000 miles on one of my 300 mile CB750) the owner does visit this site from time to time he has an even better very early CB750 to play with  nuff said nudge nudge wink wink, it does seem to make all our efforts restoring bikes worth while though,it might be time to start unloading a few of my early CB750's on the unsuspecting public of ebay, before the banks become a safe bet again :D

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
Steph (lol)  I never did think banks were a safe thing. (I keep me dosh under the bed, onme misses's side,so its like totally safe.)
But, me and the misses have moved many pianos, as I play and have a habit of not being able to resist . Pianos are a bit like cb750,s in so far as there are "dogs" (skip them) half reasonable ones (restore)
And then the equivelent to finding a sandcast , Broadwoods, Cramer's . Collard and Collards, etc. (let no one mention the word "steinway" yuk) German actions in British wood's rule....
And I can't resist when I find one of these...
Anyways, upright  Piano,s are "Blunt" usually (you could not move a Grand piano without serious techy help.)
They are blunt on the back, and on both sides,
I have studied this, they are so blunt as to be quite plain.
The engine casings of a cb750 stick out more than the head and barrells,
A piano would hit these first.??
I was put off bidding because I love my piano,s and didn't like one being blamed for something it may not be guilty of.
Anyways,
easy to take apart but hard to put back together? oh no, I dont like the sound of that....?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
There is a guy in Holland called Lecram who does the best faces (not overlays they are printed plastic) - he is selling them though CMSNL too I think. Not sure if he does K2's yet but if not I am sure it will be in the pipeline. The Sandcast guy are using him for K0 faces. Don't want to put his email address on here PM me if you need it. I have also posted on Sandcast site that you are looking for K2 faces and he is bound to see it.

I know the guy who sold that K2 today - he is a real enthusiast so it's probably a really good buy - His K0 is from the same early batch as mine. I also know Chris here in Hull whose restored K2 came 2nd in the CB of the year Mag (His bike was painted the same colours as mine by Andrew Parnaby after he saw my paintwork (should really have different coloured pinstripes though - they are really K0/K1 colours. Andrew paints on the pinstripes !! mine on my K0 were definitely painted on at the factory by Honda but at some stage they may have switched to transfers/decals.

Spent all day fixing the Bog and tracking down parts for my latest CB250 twin. Got a lead on a 420 mile only 350 engine and carbs. Only problem is it is in the States. Waffling again time to go!

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:32:49 PM »
Ashimoto,
without doubt that was one stunning K2.. someone will be well happy! just joking about the piano-broken fin thing... i didn't bid because, I have a K2, and my misses has knives. I have been "asked" to reduce the amount of cb750 stuff from inside the house. When I finish my K2, If I sell it I will buy a bedford TK horsebox, and harrass the folk at the local museum (which is extremely in dire straits through lack of funding) to sell me the 1920,s collard and collard grand they have in there, I will mention, that like a motorbike a piano is meant to be used no matter its age.
Incidently,
One of the best scenes from any movie concerning piano's (discounting the "piano on the beach" scene in the film "The piano" music my Michel Nyman)  Has to be this scene...from the film "Shine" The true life story of David Helfgott......
In "Pseduo-semi- recovery" after the pyschiatrists have failed to understand just why he collapsed , and so they filled him with drugs and gave him ECT . he finds himself at the mercy of a sad land lord who locks the piano lid......
but , he has seen a piano through the windows of a cafe........

Shine - Flight of the Bumblebee

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
There was an article in the December issue of the VJMC magazine on the subject of restoring CB750f instruments. As steff750 pointed out they are easy to take apart but not so easy to get back together. The article illustrates a very effective method to refit the band. Whilst the link posted to the U.S site interesting there are some omissions

If you can borrow a copy of the magazine I'm sure that would help. If you get stuck pm me and I'll see what I can sort out for you

Offline Lecram

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • Buy High Quality Honda CB four gauge parts online!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
There is a guy in Holland called Lecram who does the best faces (not overlays they are printed plastic) - he is selling them though CMSNL too I think. Not sure if he does K2's yet but if not I am sure it will be in the pipeline. The Sandcast guy are using him for K0 faces. Don't want to put his email address on here PM me if you need it. I have also posted on Sandcast site that you are looking for K2 faces and he is bound to see it.

I know the guy who sold that K2 today - he is a real enthusiast so it's probably a really good buy - His K0 is from the same early batch as mine. I also know Chris here in Hull whose restored K2 came 2nd in the CB of the year Mag (His bike was painted the same colours as mine by Andrew Parnaby after he saw my paintwork (should really have different coloured pinstripes though - they are really K0/K1 colours. Andrew paints on the pinstripes !! mine on my K0 were definitely painted on at the factory by Honda but at some stage they may have switched to transfers/decals.

Spent all day fixing the Bog and tracking down parts for my latest CB250 twin. Got a lead on a 420 mile only 350 engine and carbs. Only problem is it is in the States. Waffling again time to go!

Cheers

Ash

Thanks for your reply, Ash, I am doing K2 faces as well. You can find these here, on my website: http://www.cb750faces.com/webshop.php

I have MPH and KM/H versions, all can be supplied very soon. Free shipping.

Offline Lecram

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • Buy High Quality Honda CB four gauge parts online!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:24 PM »
Guys, have any of you restored your clocks on a cb750K2? if so, what faces did you use, what colour for the tip of the needles, and what finish for the black cases themselves? All and every input gratefully received...  also if using a replacement speedo, any thoughts on changing the milage to what was on the original one? Is this OK even? Thanks. oh forgot to mention...all the above for as near concourse restoration as possible...mostly.

I am using modelling paint for the tip, brand Revell, enamel paint, colour number MATT 25. Is very close to the original.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:32 PM »
Thanks lecram, thats just what I need... will go look at your webpages..

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
Thanks Kent will do, an effective way of refitting the band.. Hmmm that is a tantalizing "tease" oh go on , tell me or I will be puzzling forever...lol.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »
There was an article in the December issue of the VJMC magazine on the subject of restoring CB750f instruments. As steff750 pointed out they are easy to take apart but not so easy to get back together. The article illustrates a very effective method to refit the band. Whilst the link posted to the U.S site interesting there are some omissions

If you can borrow a copy of the magazine I'm sure that would help. If you get stuck pm me and I'll see what I can sort out for you

Where can I get details of this please kent - I have a batch of CB450 twin  clocks I want to restore.

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal