Author Topic: David Silver (Honda parts)  (Read 9616 times)

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
David Silver (Honda parts)
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »
I have just received a delivery from David Silver Spares, everything delivered 1st class service as always!
There is a note with my invoice explaining that the 'HONDA' legend/word has been removed from the NOS packaging due to legal issues. I gather that 'HONDA' (is it legal to type this now!!!)have succeeded with there legal action

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: David Silver (Honda parts)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
Hya BigAl, that one passed me right by, could you "run it by me"?  What were Honda moaning about....?
If packets with genuine "Honda" parts were seen to be sold , how can that possibly hurt Honda?
I would have thought that it would be just more free advertising for Honda?
this world we live in has turned very strange, and is turning even stranger by the moment....
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
Ahhh, something has just occured to me....
"New Old stock" (nos)  is perfectly fine for some things that dont deteriorate with age...BUT, some things do, especially rubber and some plastics etc.
I have heard folk selling oil seals saying "these are new, they haven't been kicking around in a warehouse for years" meaning (I think) they will not be brittle and hard.....
Maybe with things like a cam chain guide and tensioner wheel for instance, a nos part that someone has saved since 1976 may have suffered some effects of time.... maybe HOnda are distancing themselves from any possibilty of "catastrophic engine failure" that may result?? Then if someone complained that they had fitted a new (nos) part, Honda could say "not one of ours" meaning not one they had sanctioned??
just a thought....

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
I think Steve could explain this better than me (he posted some legal action details a few months ago) I think the problem has come from the franchised dealers (ie we should buy from the Honda dealer) But in my case, I have a CB750 K4 (American model) I order my parts from DS who then buy parts from the USA.
But because DS is not a Honda franchised dealer, they could be liable for infringing the brand in some way???...I do not fully undstand this!!!

So my recently delived chrome head light rim part No 33101-405-671 with red/white sicker and bar code now has the (HONDA) legend cut out of it.
It sounds very petty to me

Alan
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
Thanks for the information Steve
I wonder if the judgement applies to dealers bringing second hand bikes from the USA to sell in the UK, could they advertise them as HONDA...the judgement did apply to motorcycles and motorcycle parts
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
Thanks Steve, now I understand..... 
BigAl, it would seem that way wouldn't it, if we were to sell an imported honda we would have to take the "Honda" logo off everything?
Beuocracy like this has plunged our nation into totall stupidity. Red tape, and health and safety (gone overboard) too.
To illustrate this ridiculous behaviour.. heres an example of court ruling a little off topic, but maybe of interest.
Nick turner, as you probably know is "ex-hawkwind"
I know, and you know he used to play sax with hawkwind. He knows he is "ex hawkwind" too. (after all he was there allthough he may not remember everything...but thats another story entirely)
Many people (because of the nature of Hawkwind) are "ex-hawkwind"
Nick decided to put a band together of "ex-hawkwind" musicians..
They decided to call themselves ( funnily enough) "ex-hawkwind"
Then they got slapped with court papers by Dave. Brock... who is not "ex" and owns the hawkwind name.
Even though they are "ex-hawkwind" they are not allowed to call themselves that....
To me , anyways,
Not allowing courts to use  discretion and common sense, will inevitably result in decisions that favour the rich when they pursue their so called "case" using top notch silks argueing the "letter of the law" even if the "letter" was not intended for that particular purpose.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:22:44 PM »
Here is living proof that courts are not allowed to use commen sense or discretion.....when faced with the mighty law giants of the corporations.... heres a link to some macdonald court cases against ordinary folk..
including a man Born Ronald Macdonald.... scroll down the page to the trademark/ copyright part.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_legal_cases

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Only just read this thread, absolutely gutted by Honda and the attitude to Dave Silver. Does nobody in the big H realise that the best advert to sell new bikes is the sight and sound of 30+year old bikes running around, still working reliably enough to use as everyday transport? I also drive a 1958 landrover :-[ , crude, slow, and cold in winter (Heaters were an extra cost option until 1973!) but still it chugs on, often rescuing othe cars when the weather gets bad, and no problem getting parts from a main dealer (and more often than not, cheaper than pattern parts!) Long and short of it is, the local dealership has a 1950 series one landrover that they use as a recovery truck, and it's always parked in full view at the front of the shop, and many would be customers are swayed by the fact it is still so reliable. Honda could learn a lot from them, and how to treat customers of older models!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
Amen to that. they could learn from Landrover on that front, almost everything we need for our 2 is there on the shelf at a reasonable cost, in fact it's only engine bits for their less common 2.0d engine that are hard to get and even then I can buy a nos crank for
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
1969 Series 11a owner here.  A bit like my bike, very scruffy but still on the road, logging and taking pigs to market etc.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
nice to know of old landrovers still working hard for a living-  Ours made it into LRM in January an absolute first for me to have a vehicle featured in a magazine. As with any classic I get my hands on it works just as hard as when it was new and still powers hay teddes and balers as well as moving trailers of sheep and building materials etc.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »
If we all keep old bikes running who will buy new bikes?  Marketing ploy?
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal