Author Topic: 750 sohc clutch  (Read 6362 times)

Offline flamethrower

• View Profile
750 sohc clutch
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
Hi There
Got a bit of a problem when rebuilding the clutch on my 750sohc. Bought the bike in bits and when building the clutch up cannot understand my parts list components. I have fit the outer clutch drum first then it says there is a circlip and the splined washer(outer) next, but when I got a new circlip it dosnt seem to retain anywhere on the shaft or casing and when I fit the splined washer on the shaft, the splines on the shaft dont go full lenght(last 1/4ins or so is just a plain shaft so the washer just floats about at the back of the shaft. What can you experts tell me?
Cheers Flamethrower

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 750 sohc clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »
Need to know exact model as parts/build up varies

Offline flamethrower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »
The engine is a k4
But perhaps it has a later clutch assembly?
If so will it fit and can I omit the splined washer and circlip?
dbd32

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »
I've got a F2 / K7 Honda workshop manual and it describes to install the clutch as you say in the first part of your post so you may have different parts and / or instructions that don't match.

I can't remember what earlier clutches were like and don't have those manuals available right now.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:20:34 AM »
Hmmmm.  Not sure about a circlip . . .

Does this help?

First thing on the mainshaft is the clutch outer/basket.  Then a spacer goes in (the only thing with a splined inner other than the clutch basket/inner), followed by the plates and the inner.  Next onto the mainshaft is the thrust washer with 'OUTER' stamped on it, followed by the splined washer (splines on the outside) and that lot is held in with a castellated nut.  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong set up, but I can't see a circlip anywhere there . . .  

You're sure it's a 750 clutch you've got?  I ask 'cos a lot of the smaller capacity bikes use circlips in the clutch setup . . . 

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:23:40 AM by the-chauffeur »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
Apologies as haven't got a scanner available currently to post a copy of my manual.

Official workshop manual for F2/K7 says for CLUTCH ASSEMBLY, 1) clutch outer drum installation, Install the clutch outer drum by pushing the kick starter spindle backward and aligning the gears by rotating kick starter gear.

2) Install the circlip and insert the splined washer. Shows a clear picture of the assembly which has square form splines running out to the threads that hold the centre nut of the inner hub on, but has no picture of the washer.

It then moves on to plate and disc installation.

In a different section it shows the clutch shaft with a large diameter spline to hold the main clutch basket with a groove to take the circlip at the outer end of it.

From the position of the said washer, it appears that this is to space the inner clutch hub out away from the main basket and set clearance as far as I can tell.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
My K7 manual mentions the circlip but its not in my manual for early models.

Manual for early models says:
Place clutch outer drum on splined end of gearbox mainshaft then thick washer with splined centre.  build up clutch inner drum, flanged end downwards by starting with the friction plate which is slightly smaller in diameter than the remainder, then adding the outer clutch ring tabs facing upwards.  build up the remainder of the plates finally add the clutch pressure plate and then fit the inner drum assembly after aligning the tongues of the friction plates.  Replace the spring washer and the lock washer on the mainshaft then refit the centre sleeve nut and tighten.  You then fit the springs and lifter plate.

I don't know whether this is correct as I've never stripped an early clutch!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
I've built up K's 2 and 6 but too long ago to remember the fine details like this.

The main clutch drum has no real load to pull / push along the shaft so it's quite possible that earlier models than K7/F2 had a different arrangement with the final position ultimetely controlled by the plate thickness building back from the outer face of the inner hub if that makes sense.

It seems as though from this that you may have washer / circlip to fit the later type shaft and would be looking for a specific single thrust washer to use with earlier parts to get correct assembly.

Has anyone else got more specific drawings for K4 era to help?

Hinomaru

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »
Hi There
Got a bit of a problem when rebuilding the clutch on my 750sohc. Bought the bike in bits and when building the clutch up cannot understand my parts list components. I have fit the outer clutch drum first then it says there is a circlip and the splined washer(outer) next, but when I got a new circlip it dosnt seem to retain anywhere on the shaft or casing and when I fit the splined washer on the shaft, the splines on the shaft dont go full lenght(last 1/4ins or so is just a plain shaft so the washer just floats about at the back of the shaft. What can you experts tell me?
Cheers Flamethrower

Images taken from my old manual should help get that K4 clutch in proper order:

Offline flamethrower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
Hi There
On the diagram it shows a plain steal pressure plate against the alloy clutch pressure plate. Is this right?
Also can anyone tell me what the Ring Clutch plate stopper does as I dont have one. does it go between the last steal plate and cork plate
Also what does the Ring Clutch plate OUTER do as I dont have one on mine either
All a bit confusing---Dont suppose anyones got a COMPLETE clutch they can sell me wiyh all the bits I am missing?
flamethrower

Hinomaru

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:00:11 PM »
Flamethrower, See if this link is of any help: http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/clutch/cth1.htm

Hinomaru

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:08:59 PM »
Hi There
On the diagram it shows a plain steal pressure plate against the alloy clutch pressure plate. Is this right?
Yes, up to engine number: CB750E-1056079. With your K4, the cork plate goes in first and will use a 7 cork and 6 steel clutch pack.

Also can anyone tell me what the Ring Clutch plate stopper does as I dont have one. does it go between the last steal plate and cork plate This is used ONLY for the early sandcast clutches. Engine numbers: CB750E-1000001 to CB750E-1001759

Also what does the Ring Clutch plate OUTER do as I dont have one on mine either This is used ONLY for the KO and K1 clutches. Engine numbers: CB750E-1000001 to CB750E-1056079

All a bit confusing---Dont suppose anyones got a COMPLETE clutch they can sell me wiyh all the bits I am missing?
flamethrower

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal