Author Topic: Supercharged 750 motor  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Supercharged 750 motor
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »
This would make her lift her skirts a bit??

A usual, cut and paste link - excuse my computer skills.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CB750-SOHC-DRAGSTER-SUPERCHARGER-SINTILA-CR750-/370489880500?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5642eaefb4#ht_1467wt_905
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Supercharged 750 motor
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
Contrary to what it says on the e-bay listing I was the original builder / owner of that engine.
This is a picture of the original bike

The engine you see in the picture is the MkI which spread its innards all over Elvington airfield. You would be amazed what a diet of 80% nitromethane can do when things go wrong. However, I rebuilt or more to the point replaced the engine as there wasn't a great deal salvageable from the MkI. The MkII engine is the one in the listing. Unfortunately there are a few bits missing. The crankshaft that's in it came from the MkI which unfortunately did suffer some damage in the blow up and one of the big end journals has a grove in it courtesy of the rod breaking. Oh. by the way three of the rods broke and went through the cases in the original. As I have suggested large doses of nitro = potential mechanical carnage and in my case it did! However, I did have the crank professionally crack tested and refurbished, so despite the damage to one of the big ends it should (in theory) be OK. I hasten to add that I have spoken to the current vendor and he is aware of this.

Cheers
Eric

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »
Wow Eric thats some machine you had, was it fast and is the seat made from a bale of straw
Pete

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
"was it fast?"  Pete, thats a classic.How fast does it need to be to explode all over an airfield?...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:36:20 PM by kaceyk2 »
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
The acceleration was phenomenal. As to how fast it would go I never got the chance to find out due to forementioned engine blowing itself to bits the first time I ever rode the thing. It should in theory have run the quarter mile in about 7.5 seconds with a terminal speed of 180mph. The cause of the mechanical mayhem was the jockey pulley for the magneto drive slipping out of position allowing the belt to slip and hence the ignition going awry. It sure did make a mess and a very expensive mess at that. Buyer beware!

Cheers
Eric

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal