Author Topic: do any members do deep sea diving?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
do any members do deep sea diving?
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:04:33 PM »
I know this may be a long shot, but you never know, does anyone dive wrecks? Offshore, around the UK?
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: do any members do deep sea diving?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
No Kacey, I get to the water when it's all in lumps i.e. snow and slide down it and ever since seeing jaws when it came out (cemetry junction odeon reading) with that face falling out of the wreck it's been mentally filed under too scary.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »
No but we have a few bits that might interest someone who does from a marine salvage auction where some interesting bits of kit were mixed in with other lots.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »
No but my best mate does. His mates dive wrecks and go all over the place (Oban, Anglesey etc.). He has given it up though 'cos of a 'niggle' in his neck (whatever that is). He was selling all his gear off a while back - don't know if he still has any of  it. He dragged me to a diving show once, as he got me to design a powerful underwater lamp. I sloped off and watched a lecture by this couple called Hans and Lotte Hass, which was really interesting and then I went to another one on 're-breathers', evidently they were  first developed  by Draeger in Germany during the darkest days of WW2. Sat there in my usual anorak way soaking it all up - fascinating stuff !

Cheers

Ashimoto
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:46:57 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:40 PM »
Cool Ash.

My best biking mate is also a diver (and a VFR750 owner)

He's an instructor with BSAC
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
Ah Steve, wonderfull, If it is at all possible could you enquire as to his opinion on how difficult it would be to dive the following loctaion; N56 58 W2 12 (google satelite) bearing in mind, the rocks, the mud.?
This is to try and solve a 70 year old mystery concerning the final resting place/location of a 600+ton cargo ship that my grandfather lost his life on.... I have never dived, so am unsure of the logistics, any info would be most welcome, and you mates experience and knowledge a great help.
thanks...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:47:33 AM »
Will ask my mate to ask his club mates for you too kacey- They lovea challenge and an excuse for a good booze up!
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:38:19 AM »
Thanks, maybe they could point me in the right direction for research....
I went and had a look at the national archives website.....jeesus.. you can get books ON books of how to start research, and as an example, Just one tiny bit of the Admiralty,s records takes up eight miles of shelves...for real, eight miles...
I don't consider myself totally stupid, ( when i am trying to be sensible) but these "public records" that are meant to be open to public perusal, defy reason.
The tradgedy of this is that it makes it very difficult for ordinary folk to find out and access the wealth of info that the archives hold.
A bigger sadness, is that with out the sacrifices of the merchant navy, we would have been well stuffed.
I made a quote up, "never have so many, given so much, for so little (recognition)" which I think is apt.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal