Author Topic: Finishing switchgear  (Read 9942 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Finishing switchgear
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »
Has anyone any experience in refinishing the castings of the 750 switchgear and the brake master cylinder?  It looks like the original finish was black anodising as the areas that have been protected from the sun are black whereas the areas exposed to the sun have faded to either a grey or brownish colour.  I have taken them to a local anodisers and they say they do not believe the switches to be anodised as they reckon the anodising would show up the grain structure of the casting plus the glossy "laquered" look on the switch gear has them puzzled. 

If I have them powdercoated the lettering may disappear,  if I have them 2K painted will the finish last with wear from gloved hands?

HELP!!!  Any recommendations??

rob

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Finishing switchgear
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »
Some ides here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=7355.0

and here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=49339.0

loads more if you search around on there.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »
Thanks for the links, plenty to read there!  Did you use satin or gloss powdercoat on your switches?

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »

Quite possibly the most comprehensive discussion on the subject (maybe) can be found here.

You'll see a post or two from me some way toward the bottom of the thread.  I had my switches powdercoated with a satin (semi-matt) finish 'cos it matched the originals on the particular model I was working on - but given how good the results were, I'd not hesitate to get others glossed. In fact, I'm taking a whole bunch of bits to get coated in the very near future and since my last visit, my powdercoater can now do both the paint coat (after all, powdercoat is basically paint) and a clear lacquer coat, too.  I intend to get my 750 bits done in gloss black with lacquer.

You're right though, the lettering is very tricky. Again, see the link for ideas, but gloss enamel and fine art brushes are a good place to start.

Hope that helps.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »
ChrisR suggested to me to spray with PJ1 black coating,  heating both the housing and paint to around 70C. Then bake in an oven followed by a light application of Solvol autosol to give the correct finish like anodizing.

If I am giving your trade secrets away Chris just shout and I will wipe this post!!  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PJ1-BLACK-SATIN-ENGINE-CASE-HIGH-TEMP-SPRAY-PAINT-CAN_W0QQitemZ390236623783QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=218160010542&rvr_id=218160010542&cguid=c29cca8912c0a0aa13136113ff84ce78

I have not tried it yet but I suggested this to another ChrisB, who lives near me and his K2 was done like this  and was the runner up in this years CB competition for best restoration.

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:16 AM »
This is great!  I have never had to refinish switchgear before as I have been lucky to buy cheap NOS items for previous bikes but I have found the 750s are a different matter!!

I know of 2 good powder coaters and I am sure I have a tin of PJ1 somewhere from my Shadow resto to try that first and see what it looks like.  It may not be any good for the master cylinder but I think the new fluids (DOT 4?) are kinder to paint.  My wife has just reminded me that a restored Goldwing we had some time ago had what looked like glossy powdercoated switchgear and master cylinder and they looked very good.

Looking at the links I realise I've got to do something about the kill switch, mine is the early soft type which has faded and I may have to look round for a scrap switch that has a good kill switch.

I have just made a cup of tea and I'll start taking the switches apart and watch for the bits and pieces flying everywhere!

Rob

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »
These folk now do switchgear

http://www.guagerepairs.com/

Looks like a nice job. May not suit all, but handy to know if you don't have the time/skill/courage etc.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »

I was surprised how well plastic paint worked on the kill switch of the set I rebuilt.  The colour had basically been bleached out of the black knob (it had gone grey/white) so once the switch was apart, I keyed the surfaces up with some high grade wet and dry and then sprayed it with several light coats of plastic paint.

Looking at it now, you'd never know.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
Never thought of plastic paint, I'll  give that a try as the switch knob is still sound and just wants brightening up.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
I refinished my switches using Humbrol model paint, H21 Gloss black, applied with my Airbrush, I used red Humbrol H19 to outline the lettering, should really have been orange though (H18).
Here's a link to another thread, http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=1704.msg2549#msg2549

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 09:30:47 AM »
I must admit I thought the lettering was faded red but after reading your post I scraped the lettering and it was orange.  Checked all my Humbrol from my aircraft modelling days (I must have a 100 tins or so) and you guessed it, no orange.  Well down to the shops!

Switches are now completely apart. Photos, sketches, and notes taken and parts separately bagged - don't want to loose the tiny springs and contacts!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
Guess what when i polished my switches i managed to loose the ball bearing that goes under the on off switch   ARSE!!!!!!
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
If anyone loses any bits I may have a spare bit.

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
Posted your kill switch knob today Rob 1st Class

cheers

Ash

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:56:18 PM »
Thanks Ash.  just cleaned all the contacts and blades,  nylon plugs in the ultrasonic cleaner and cables resleeved.  Switch bodies with the powdercoater who is trying to see what finish he can achieve.  Found some Humbrol Fire Orange in my box for the lettering but its gloss and I think it should be matt - it looks nice though!  I see on the US site there is a recommendation to use FS 12197 matt International Orange, believe the closest match to this is Humbrol 82 or HR132 Orange Lining (railway colour).
Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal