Author Topic: which tyres to go for  (Read 4345 times)

MIKE550/4

which tyres to go for
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »
honda cb550 k3

hi all

can you guys recommend a set of modern day  tyres to go for , plus what i should be paying roughly ?

thanks

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: which tyres to go for
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
I prefer classic Avons for the 500 myself. Avon SM MK2 is my preffered rear tyre, Mostly as it's quite square in profile and I have a likng for sidecars but also superb in solo format (had one on my bmwr80rt(solo) and was rock solid even in snowy conditions. Made my bmw hating mate quite inpressed going round roundabouts on pillion when he saw how far it would lean. (very far indeed apparently - footpegs touching down) I could also slide the back end out with a downchange on one particular hairpin allowing me to corner stupidly fast compared to my mates bikes. I had Avon Roadrunners at the front which just fitted but had to go on deflated to get past the caliper bolts. both the cb550 and bmw handled very well in all weathers with that tyre combo. They arten't modern but with space so limmited not much modern rubber will fit without messing. I almost always run part worns to save money but when needed a pair of new Avons normally comes in at
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:02 PM »
Handling Dunlop TT100 but the rear wont last

Original look Metzeler or Continentals

Prices vary wildly but try googling Central Tyre

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
I put these on my F2, and i am really impressed, they give me real confidence around corners

Pete

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »
I wanted "modern rubber" for my 750 and my wheel rebuilder recommended Avon Roadriders , he said he had never had any problems with them and they rode great.  I contacted Avon for their recommended fitment size ( they have a different profile to the original tyres) for the K7 and they replied straight away.

Rob

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »

Dont take this as a recommendation, I normally would go with the RoadRiders or BT45's but I just wanted something cheap this time. I'm not using it everyday and when I do use it I wont be taking it on a trackday so I've been a cheapskate.

I bought a pair of Cheng Shin tyres and new rim tapes for less than hundred quid delivered from Busters.

I got front 100/90/19 and rear 110/90/18. The sizes appear spot on, the tyres look kinda cheap and nasty, but they are so what did I expect..??

The tread patterns are weird copies of old 70's tyres by the looks of them...the fronts a Metzeler (ME33 was it.??) copy and the rears a Dunlop TT100 copy.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
I use Avon SM MK2 on the rear and the matching Avon Speedmaster on the front and I must say I'm a convert.  I was very sceptical to begin with but re-assured by my tyre man who is also a motorcyclist.  When he recommended them to me I had previously been using more modern style tyres which were always wearing out rather quickly.  The Avons, he assured me, were exactly suitable for this type of rim and suspension etc. and he was completely right.  Despite the square looking profile on the rear, the handling is excellent in all weathers and I am the sort of chap who is happiest when pushing the bike really hard on the corners of our rural roads.  The tyres are priced at an affordable level for practical motorcycling.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
glad to hear recomendations for the avon sm and ribbed as these are fitted to my k3, mainly as i wanted the vintage look and i remember them as being good tyres back in the 70s.Not on road yet so dont know how they handle!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »
Ah good old Avon Square masters----Dunlop K70's were about the same but I don't think you can get them now

MIKE550/4

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
cheers all i think the avon sm2  gets most votes for rear, so will go with majority

thanks all for input

right central tyres... google 

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »
I also need to replace the tyres on my K3 (with comstar wheels), was going for BT45s but now not so sure, decisions.....

Assuming comstar wheels are normally a tubeless fitment ?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »
Not necessarily some were some wern't

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal