Author Topic: The difference between US and UK spec  (Read 6311 times)

Offline p@ul

• View Profile
The difference between US and UK spec
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
Hi all, my CB750 f2 is US spec (see pic below) What is the difference between US and UK spec ?

My seat isn't standard so ignor that, as far as i can tell looking at some UK spec bikes on here the main difference are the handle bars, switch gear and maybe the rear light position. Although why would the US bike have its rear light sat higher than the UK bike ? (look at uk pete's bike).
The rest of the bike looks pretty much the same to me.

Any ideas where i can get hold of the side seat strips from ?

Cheers Paul.
CB 750 f2..... November 2012 the start of a long Cafe project !!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: The difference between US and UK spec
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
Yes you are right about rear light, the uk one is lower and has a different mounting plate , as well as the tail piece on the uk bike has a black plastic panel in fill with a honda badge on
The chrome side rails are different but only where the indicators mount ,if you look at a uk bike the indicators are at the rear
Handle bars and left hand switch gear, headlight and tail light lens ,are slightly different , also the ignition switch on some of the usa models have the steering lock incorporated, where the uk has a seperate key operated lock on the steering head
There are many small differences in usa models if you look at the parts manual, but they are really small and probably go unoticed

Pete

Offline p@ul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »
Thanks Pete, interesting point on the steering lock. I was looking for the lock on the headstock until i found it on the ignition barrell  ;D  and now you've mention the other bits and bobs i can see them.

Any takers on the seat strip, i believe this might be an ask to far  ???

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
Main switch difference is because US had to have the headlamp on all the time and from my memory all the UK ones had the steering lock on the ignition barell as well

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »
Doesn't the British version have a space for a picnic hamper, umbrella stand, shotgun rack and somewhere to keep one's champagne cool?

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »
The grab rail and rear light holder on your bike appear to be CB750F1 items, the F2 had it's rear indicators attached to the rear light holder whereas the F1 has them mounted on the chrome rails, the indicators themselves are F2, the seat hump also looks like an F1 item.

Here's my F1 for comparison

Cheers

Den
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:29:50 PM by Spitfire »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline p@ul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »
Comstar wheels and black engine denotes F2 model mate..... Lovely example that you've got  :)

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
Hi
There are 3 diffrent types/styles of indicators or WINKER as Honda call them in the parts book.
2 Seat humps types, 2 Bumper Rear's (chrome rail) 2 fender's mudguards.
and there are 3 taillights that are fitted to the F2.
The diffrents for the lights is the local regs for where the bike is sold/ imported.
I all so note your bars/switches mirrors have been changed.
Seat strips are hard to find that are not damaged if you find some get them.
I think to much time reading the parts book by me, any way you have a nice bike there which is all that matters.
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
US spec F2's did keep the F1 style rear indicators mounted to the chrome rail arrangement (but with larger winkers of course).
In my view a more stylish arrangement, and better too due to the UK rear lamp bracket not being man enough to carry the weight of the winkers as well as the rear light and number plate - the UK lamp bracket cracks eventaully and eventually falls off taking the rear light, winkers and number plate with it - it happened to me somewhere between Lincoln and Sheffield back in '83 (never did find the missing bits!), and  every other UK rear bracket I have found since has been cracked / re-welded below the top two mountiong nuts, and around the lower one.
Cheers - Cris R.
Chris R.

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »
Yes you are spot on i have had 2 brake on me, i got our workshops to make up a bracket from stronger stuff and never had the thing brake again.
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile