Author Topic: Is this sort of thing legit? Bryan?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Is this sort of thing legit? Bryan?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
A bit of a grey area I would guess. I know that Norvil Motorcycles do them for Nortons, but you do have to provide evidence of ownership.

Probably someone being helpful and not fully aware of other folk who would try a scam.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »
Sorry mate, been away for a holiday!

Yes its legit as at one time honda actualy had a part number for a vin plate/frame plate (whatever) but just stopped doing it.

The none legit part is using one to change the ID of a frame and even that is legal (as long as you own both and its not stolen!!) as long as you do not mis represent it when selling

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »
I have got a new plate for my F2 as the old one is a bit second hand, not a 100% copy but good enough.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline RupertB

• SOHC Associate
  • If a hammer won't fix it, then it's electrical.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
I know that when Les Emery at Norvil stamps up a frame plate he insists on seeing the bike and the logbook to be 100% certain it is above board.
I know this because he did one for mine.
I can't think of how any specific offence would be tied to simple sale of a frame plate, unless it didn't relate to the bike for which supplied in which case you could be open to several aid and abets, and possibly conspiracy if you were shown to be dishonest in what you were selling.
While it is great to think that you can get any spares for any bike, I think as a supplier of these parts you could easily get taken for a ride by the less scrupulous, so in many ways it is a bit naive just to bang them out over ebay. More 'caveat vendor' than 'caveat emptor' I suppose.
(I knew that Latin A Level would come in handy one day, even if I did only get an 'E'!)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:12:17 PM by RupertB »
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. You'll enjoy it and I need the money.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal