Author Topic: Back Tyre  (Read 1949 times)

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Back Tyre
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
Went for an MOT earlier this week and had an advisory over the rubber degradation/cracking between the blocks of tread on the outer edge of the back tyre.  This tyre has been on for about 10yrs.

So makes what are you guys using on the back in standard size?   Any known good deals?

I currently have a K82 and likely to do the same again in the absence of any other suggestions.

I have used H rated tyres in the past when I was young enough to benefit from them and they are were harder to fit without marking the rims.

Regards
DJW

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Back Tyre
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
It depends if you want the period look.

I've used Avon Roadrunners on all my old bikes for the last 10 years. They are similar to those from the 70's but modern compound.  Not sure about quality or supply though since Avon was taken over by an American company a couple of years ago.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
I think I've only ever used H rating and above but no real problems with fitting but you do need to use plenty of soap to get them on easily, make sure you soap the inside of the beed (the bit you can't see) to make the tyre slide into place.

Also if you get an old car tyre of the correct size and lay the bike wheel onto it you'll find it much easier to work round the rim without the hub touching the floor.

Make sure you hold the tyre bead down into the centre of the rim opposite the levering point as you go round, I just hold this in by kneeling on the side wall.

470four

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
Using Avon Roadriders front and back, excellent sticky tyres!

Roadrunners are going to be very old now, if you do find one check the date stamp on the side of it for the month and year it was made?

The tyre itself will have a four-digit age code on the sidewall, this will tell you the week number (0-52) and the last two numbers of the year of manufacture, in this example week 40, and 09 (2009).

Anything obviously cracked, perished or rock-hard will by now have the grip properties of mahogany / old wellies and is best left to be binned...

Tyres are the only thing stopping your bike scraping down the road, best buy good ones, eh...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal