Author Topic: New member intro...  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
New member intro...
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
Hi all

Just bought myself a Honda CB550F as a bit of a project, so thought I would join the forum. I also have a Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Tenere that I have "improved" over the last couple of years, and the guy's on the XTZ forum have been really helpful, so I have high hopes of this forum.

Biking wise I had a Suzuki TS125 as my first bike when I was 18 (a long time ago), this was stolen and wrecked, so I bought a Suzuki GT185, which went when I bought my first car. I did not give any thought to motorbikes for 30 years, going through various other hobbies (bit of autotesting in the wifes car, photography, model railways ((sorry)), community radio which I am still heavily involved in).

Then one day one of my work colleagues, Doug, brought his daughters Royal Enfield Bullet 500 in to work, and told me he was selling it. It took me a couple of weeks to decide, but I bought it, as my re-introduction to motorcycling. It was OK, I enjoyed tootling around on it, but I struggled to start it with the kick start only, and it was pretty slow....

So I bought the Yamaha XTZ and then sold the Bullet to pay for it (back to front I know, but that's Ebay for you). The Yamaha had been sprayed all matt black, to cover up all sorts of issues, so over my ownership I have changed all the plastics and the tank and it looks a lot better now. And it goes like a train.....

Last year I bought a Honda CB250 which was military green, ex-Italian Army I was told. It was bought as a non-runner, needed electrical work. For some reason the bike and I just did not click, and it was sold, just before Christmas, to pay the bills...

But I kept looking at Ebay, and found this CB550F, 1979, just a few miles away. There is a bit of a story here, but I have to go back to work, suffice to say it is now in my garage, awaiting a bit of fetlling before an MOT, tax and Insurance, then I can use it...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:34:49 PM by Mercury »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New member intro...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Quite a few 550's seem to be getting picked up and restored / re-commisioned so you're in good company.

I liked the F2 best in this engine size as they look nicely proportioned.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
Hi Mercury, and welcome to the forum, i dont know much about the 550's i prefer the 750 cb's
I must say i have always fancied a xtz750, it is still on my want list, what do you think of them?
Pete

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:58:51 AM »
Thanks to you both for your comments.

I do love my XTZ, they are great bikes to ride, but the seat is very tall and they are very heavy (especially if you can afford to fill the fuel tank up!). The engine seems to me to be really good, I can zip past traffic, in top gear if I want to. Mind you, I've never ridden one of these superbikes, so it may all be relative.

My XTZ did blow the regulator, they all do, but now that it's fixed it is ultra-reliable. Fingers crossed.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal