Author Topic: New member from Bristol(ish)  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Timbo45

• View Profile
New member from Bristol(ish)
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »
Hi to all,

I'm Tim and have just started a project on a 78 CB550K (not sure what she actually is cos the frame says one thing and the engine another).

I'm 45 and bin riding bikes since 16.

I've had loads of um over the years and at the mo have 4 in the garage.

2000 W Yamaha R6 track bike
2007 07 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
2010 60 Kawasaki ZX10R
1978 R Honda CB550K

My Mrs also rides a Suzuki GSXR600 (she'd never been on a bike when she met me 8 years ago and now the Blackbird is for sale cos she wants to ride hers everywhere we go too!

Anyway I'll get to know you all soon as I'm sure I'm gona need a lot of answers.

Cheers

Tim

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New member from Bristol(ish)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
Where abouts? I'm in Gloucester, could be old stock registered in 78

Offline Timbo45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »
Hia bryan,

I'm actually in Gloucestershire too, Wotton under Edge.

Yes thats a point about the engine but its got an E suffix. Doesn't that mean it 's from an F?

No big deal to me I just wanted something to do and I'm sure I'll never get around to making it pristine I'd rather just smarten her up making sure it's all good mechanically and then ride.

What've you got?

Offline Timbo45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:01 AM »
Ah, now having checked the log book again looking at the numbers I've found out it's on a T plate not an R plate as I stated in my first post!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:06:24 AM »
Tim - all the engines have a CB550E-xxxxxx format (I assume that it stands for "engine" to differentiate fron the frame number which starts CB550-xxxxxx)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline stidds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »
Good to have another SW member Tim, can't wait to see your bike.

Sean

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »
Steve is right, if you PM me the full numbers or email direct to mail in profile i will look in my US ID book and tell you what it sez.
Me I got No 36 in the garage awaiting both cash and inclination after some little sh1te set fire to it, me mates riding round on a 72 K0 500 and i got loadsa bits in a lockup, plus a Wing executive and a couple of 550(inc a lowrider) out at me nephews.

I'm 2 miles off junction 12 and drive for Downton's on nights

Offline Timbo45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
Nice one Stidds, been lookin at your build, looks cool.

Did you manage to sort electrics out I noticed your previous thread?

Offline stidds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
Nice one Stidds, been lookin at your build, looks cool.

Did you manage to sort electrics out I noticed your previous thread?

Electrics are sorted thanks to a new wiring loom, all that I am awaiting now is a new battery.  Bought one online and it was dead from the start so trying to get them to give me a new one or a refund.

Other than that I have a couple of things to tidy and then on to an MOT.
Sean

Offline Timbo45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »
Thanks to SteveD for the info on the Engine number a few days ago, I'm getting so carried away with all the brill info coming my way I forgot to say thanks.

Had some great help from Bryan J too with a problem on my front caliper and piston, getting sorted with it all now.

I've spent the whole day in the garage cleaning, polishing and paint stripping!

I love my new long lost hobby, and i'm sure once the rebuild gets underway it's only gona cost a tenner or so!!!!!

Thanks again for all the info given so far.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
Cost is mostly down to 2 things, time, wait and parts often turn up cheap, and cosmetics. I can and did run my 500 and 550 before that on a tiny budgett but I spent years running a rear muddy that was more filler and paint than metal - it was sound enough but looked scabby and horrible up close as did the frame - rust came through occasionally and it got a wire brushing and a slap of hammerite in the effected area. Other than that oil changes and consumables were all I spent and eventually a fiberglass muddy turned up off another bike. Paintjobs and chrome are the things that really hurt the wallet
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Timbo45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
When I started I knew I wanted to strip right down to get to know the bike. Thats where I am right now, a thousand pieces in boxes all labeled up and a photo file on my laptop (now set up permenantly in the garage) I've got the head away to a machine shop to sort out the horendous mess of 2 exhaust studs that some previous "engineer" managed to perform and I've got the engine in bits on the bench so I could check the internals properly.

Gona get some oil seals on order today probably from DS unles anyone knows anywhere better or a complete set rather than getting individuals. Once thats sorted engines going back together. All internal parts are good with hardly any wear on bearings or primary drive chain. I think the chain must have been changed at some point tho cos theres tell tale wear grooves in the case where a chain has been rubbing!

My plan then is to get everything back onto the bike as is for now to enjoy it for a few years and then decide what to do.

Maybe just get another. I feel this could be adictive!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 12:23:54 PM »
The 550 had modified cases so the primary does not hit as bad so ANY marks are too much!! seals you can use a 500 seal kit as the only one missing is the rubber "Blank" on the end of the primary gear shaft in front of the sprocket----DO NOT "LOOSE" THE ORIGINAL as they are now discontinued.
Worth a camchain no matter what and there are some "sealing" washers you ought to change, I'll ring you tonight and tell you which.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
It is addictive, I have about 10 project bikes lurking in a loft - not as bad as it sounds in many ways, about half were bought as spares but turned out to be too good to break, most of the rest were running bikes that I've basically worn out past economic repair - When they have a worn out chain and sprocketts, 2 bald tyres and leaky forks it can often be cheaper and faster to replace the bike for one with good consumables than fix what you have, and rather than scrap them I stick them in the loft in bits and buy another bike of the same make and model and can then be sure I have tonnes of spares as well as a nice project for later. This also means you can assess what's knackered and replace it at your leisure when cheap bits crop up. Bounous is I know the bike inside out which means I can fix it myself at the roadside RAC have only carried my 500 or 550's once and that was when a camshaft on a very tired motor snapped and it was a long way from home so I filled up with loads of shopping drove the outfit to a friends (It was incredibly up to tugging a chair round Hereford with a snapped camshaft!) and waited for those lovely breakdown chaps from the comfort of my friends house. Bike was back on the road after a day in the shed to swap the engine over - the great thing with having all those spares, there was one sat ready to drop in.
Seals I buy from DS and have found the pattern set for
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal