General > New Member Introductions

(1/5) > >>

Oldbuthopeful:
Hi All
I'm Dave from Stockport.  'Oldbuthopeful' refers to the fact that I'm old enough to have ridden a 650 Ariel twin at 90mph on an 'A' road with cap turned back-to-front and not broken the law.  I was 17 at the time !   The 'hopeful' bit is about getting the CB550K3 I'm building onto the road this summer.  Well..........we all have to have a dream !
My wife thinks I'm slightly bonkers, building a bike at my age but, not having had a bike for many years, I decided last December to buy a job lot on Ebay and have a final fling. It was done on a bit of an impulse  -  I've never had a 'four' or even ridden one but it's a bit like climbing mountains,  you don't have to have a reason to do these things, you just do them because they're there and anyway, time's running out !
So this box of bits is coming together quite nicely  -  wheels rebuilt, forks re-chromed, many weeks pocket money spent with Dave Silvers and all being assembled onto a frame that one of the PO's had had powder coated. He'd obviously started the rebuild -  yokes, swingarm, airbox, fuses, loom etc all fitted but I've come to a dead stop because I can't get the back wheel complete with spindle, chain adjusters, collars etc to go into the open swingarm fork ends.  I need another 10mm or so in width and am beginning to think the cut-down bobbin spacer in with all the other bits must have been some PO's answer to the problem.  Trouble is, if I use that instead of the new bobbin I  bought, the wheel appears to be slightly offset to the right.  Any help from you guys out there would be greatly appreciated.
Good job I can keep stroking the re-sprayed tank and the new seat !!

Bryanj:
Can't help you out specificaly but can tell you that while all the other 500/550 wheels /spacers look the same the 550K3 is unique and has all the bits different except the brake shoes.

What you need to do is find somebody with one that is original and get them to measure all the bits and pieces whilst hoping the hub you have is the right one!

MIKE550/4:
i have one in parts , back wheel happens to be out

let me know exactly what you want measured and i will post up for you

Oldbuthopeful:
Wow !  -  that's what I call instant response.  Thanks Mike.
Firstly, could you give me the distance between the inside faces of the swingarm fork ends.  Mine's 235mm.
Then, it would help if I knew that my hub is the right one.  Mine measures 130mm from the rear face of the sprocket to the machined edge of the brake drum (the face the brake backplate sits against). 
The webs and the area behind the sprocket that houses the cush drive seems very chunky to me and is possibly what's pushing the wheel off-centre.  Could it perhaps be off say a 750 ?  Hope not !

MIKE550/4:
i will do it tonight for you after work  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version