Author Topic: recipes of them old Honda colors?  (Read 7521 times)

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
recipes of them old Honda colors?
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »
Anyone knows an on line source giving info on how to replicate them nice and shiny OEM Honda colors with today's water-based crap?

The car-body shop I'll have in mind works with STANDOX products, and the 'painterman' fears that they won't list those old models/codes anymore.

Any hints?
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline curro

• View Profile
Re: recipes of them old Honda colors?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
Hi,
i looked on my standox system and they list quite a number of honda colours but dont list many of the models they were for >:(
If you ask the painter which supplier they use you could tale a panel to them and have a look on there 'digital display' to see if any match up.  Failing that, the supplier should have a spectrometer to match the colour if he has a sample to check.

HTH.
Dave

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
Trouble is the early Honda colours had no standard make up plus a lot of them were 3 pack "Candies"

Offline curro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Trouble is the early Honda colours had no standard make up plus a lot of them were 3 pack "Candies"

Oh dear, see what you mean. Standox does show a number of 3 stage formulas which may be a good match? but i dont know.
How do the professional restorers overcome this problem?  I paint cars for a living but usually steer clear of bikes, if i havent got a code i use my colour chips but i havent got them for bikes.
Sorry i cant help.

Dave

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
the only people i know that do paint that works in this country is RS in bradford, uually advertise in classic bike BUT ensure you are sat down before you ask the price PLUS you need the full airflow mask to use it

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
Unfortunately we don't have a sample to match yet... over the decades them parts (tank & panels) have been brushed, abused, rattle canned, abused, foam rolled...

I hope to find traces of the original color underneath once I've started the 'archeology' on working through ??? layers...
I can only assume that the '76 once might have been blue metallic...

The man at the car body shop moaned a lot over the waterbased stuff these days and warned that multiple layers don't work well with the 'environmental friendly stuff' now...
He'll needs to 'close' the metallic base with transparent lacquer before he could spray the black markings on, etc...

STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:33:16 AM »
Dont need a sample for RS just give them model and year and there won't be that many options

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
Every time a bluey-green car passes me I try to suss if its anything like the Candy Blue green used by Honda for the 750K0. I know ChrisD used a long defunct rattle can colour for his Sandcast, which looks superb. Anyone found a close match on from a modern car. I may do my CB250K0 in white and that Bluey Green colour as they were available in that colour too as well and candy ruby red and white I think.

Cheers

AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:09:45 PM »
 ::) just a quick heads up,  i have had to modify this post has i have now checked out my friends bike its blue and white but a darker blue than the cb750 , ASH the HONDA CB250'S  they  did  come in candy colours at least  the ones you mention, (red/white and blue/white) my friend has a 1970 blue/white one ,and i have not seen a red one in years ,they did did a candy gold/white k2 which was my pride and joy when i was sixteen  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:21:34 PM by steff750 »

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »
the only people i know that do paint that works in this country is RS in bradford, uually advertise in classic bike BUT ensure you are sat down before you ask the price PLUS you need the full airflow mask to use it
Here's an update for RS Paints.
The business has relocated to -
Unit 5 Alpha Business Park,
Travellers Close,
Welham Green,
Hertfordshire AL9 7NT
Tel 01707 273 219
having been taken over by younger family members following retirement of the parents.
Web address is still www.rsbikepaint.com
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »
From some VERY old Honda US service letters the 350 colours(there is no 250 listed) were:-

CB Candy Blue-Green; Candy Red; pine green; white

K1 Candy Sapphire Blue; Candy Ruby Red; Candy Topaz Orange; Gloss Black

K4 Candy Gold Custom; Candy Bacchus Olive; Gentle Maroon Mettallic; Light Ruby Red

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »
::) just a quick heads up,  ASH the HONDA CB250'S i am sure they  did not come in candy colours at least not the ones you mention, (red/white and green/white) my friend has a 1970 green/white one (i will try and find out the exact colour as its all original),and i have not seen a red one in years ,strangely enough they did do a candy gold/white k2 which was my pride and joy when i was sixteen  :)

Hi Steff - on the '69 Cb250K0 I have (realy rough!!), it was painted black but underneath the fork ear is the original paint which looks exactly the same as the candy red on my 750K0. I am fairly certain that the CB350 variant in the USA was Candy Red/White and candy Blue/White and also Candy Green and White. Not sure on UK colours - I seem to remember my mates K0 being a solid blue colour and white so not quite sure. Hales Honda have another tank for me so will see what colour it is when I pick it up.

I had a '70 K2 back in the day Candy Gold and White - still owned by someone today and taxed HDT2J with Read Titan 325cc conversion

UPDATE - some info here on the 350

http://www.honda350k.com/CB350.html
Cheers
AshD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:10:13 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »
@ ash i saw my friends cb250 the other day,i think its as bryan says a candy sapphire blue model, im not sure if its a k1 or k0,(its got knee pads on the tank and on a H plate if that helps) and its definetly darker than my 1970 cb750's, and your red could well be a ruby red,i think it all boils down you either have a CB or a k1 paint scheme that bryan has listed, in them days i only had eyes for my candy gold/white cb250 k2 ETX 25K,im sure all k2's where this colour ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal