Author Topic: Horn Switch Query  (Read 861 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Horn Switch Query
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »
Can anyone advise me as to how the horn switch earths? The type that I have incorporates a headlamp flasher as well using a thumb button that slides to flash and push to beep.
There are 3 wires to the switch, two of these connect in the internal switch to flash the headlight. This bit works fine.
The third wire is the horn wire and should earth somehow. I cannot see any tag or anything that can earth the internal switch to casing and the handlebar and am wondering if there is something missing. If I short out the horn wire to earth, the horn functions on a push of the button.
Any help would be appreciated as this is the final problem before the MoT. The bike is a 1972 K2, but a Japanese import and the wiring could well have been fiddled with as well.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Horn Switch Query
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:20:57 PM »
hi seamus i had a similar problem with my 550k3 according to the manual the horn has a live feed (black wire) then the light green wire goes to the switch which when pressed goes to earth.with the later type incorporating the pa flasher works differently,the black wire supplies a poss supply to the switch, then to the headlamp via the white wire when pa switch pressed sideways, it earths through the headlamp earth.The horn button when pressed sends a pos feed from the black wire through the light green wire to the horn, the problem was on mine the other horn terminal was another black pos feed so it didnt work.the solution was to connect the second horn terminal to earth result beep beep!!hope this helps, Mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Horn Switch Query
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:01 AM »
Thanks Mick,
That explains the black earth wire on the coil mount. Wondered what that was for as black is normally power.
Obviously the horn switch is not an earth type and just puts power through the horn.

All very simple when someone points it out.

Thanks again

Seamus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal