Author Topic: 750 gearbox bearings  (Read 1627 times)

Offline westfieldandy

• View Profile
    • good-bits
750 gearbox bearings
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »
Hi everyone

i just collected a set of bearings to rebuild my gearbox with, but the ones with the circlip groove have a narrower groove in them than the old ones, they have also come with a full circlip rather than a half one, this means the bearing could move in housing does'nt it, where should i order my bearings from to get the right ones.

andy

seeley
cr
britain
f2
f2
k7

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: 750 gearbox bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
Hi Andy. It's been a while.

Can you post pics of your bikes?

Here's the Seeley at North Weald in 2006 (September I think).

Eamon did eventually buy a Seeley (from Stafford) but had to sell it recently due to straitened financial circumstances (too many bikes, no job)

Steve
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:26:44 AM by SteveD CB500F »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:25:42 AM »
I think the only place you can get the correct bearings is Honda

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
Where did you get them from?  I agree with Brian, I thought the Honda grooves were slightly different in width from the industrial standard.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »

Yeah - the boys are right.  I had the same problem when I replaced all of the bottom end bearings with SKF's (don't ask how much).  The SKF outer groves are about 1/3rd the width of the ones from Honda.

Unfortunately, at least one of the Honda bearings is obsolete - I think it's one of the grooved ones - and I couldn't find anywhere that would supply the right groove sizes out of the box.  So, I took my new ones to a local machinist with the old bearings (together with the Honda circlip thingie) and got him to match them.  It's not that hard for someone with the right gear - I think I was charged

Offline westfieldandy

• View Profile
    • good-bits
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your reply's it looks like i will have to try honda for bearings. or get grooves machined.

steve, i remember you from north weald, I will try and post some pics, unfortunately the seeley blew its engine up and i have not had time to put right, however, i managed a first place with it at thundersprint, and i took it to reims, and zolder for some demonstration events.  The engine ran very hot at reims and i reckon the oil became too thin and pressure went and some damage has occured. not sure how bad as i have not stripped the engine yet.

i will post pics in the appropriate place

andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal