Author Topic: headlight problem  (Read 990 times)

Offline sportsvan

• View Profile
headlight problem
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
passed mot 2 weeks ago with no probs (everything worked fine) now my headlight (hi & lo) will not work. thing is, when i use the pass (full beam flasher) it does work.
pilot & rear lights work.
sometimes though, the pilot & rear lights wont work unless i turn the ignition switch to parking lights & then back to ignition.
any thoughts out there. bike is 78 f1.
birth, school, work, death.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: headlight problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:43:29 PM »
Hate to say it, but it sounds like a bad contact somewhere. The fact that everything worked a couple of weeks ago means that the wires are in the right places. The fact that things do not now work reliably means connections.
Check all the connector junctions that are accessible first,(awkward ones can be checked later, if these do not solve the problem) include fuse holders. Also check earth wires.

If these are all OK, the switches are the next port of call.

Good luck and come back if you are still having problems

Offline sportsvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
well, i,ve ordered a new ignition switch today to see if that solves the problem.
also a front master cylinder repair kit (i now know where those small spots of what i thought was oil were coming from..

Offline sportsvan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
headlight problem sorted. traced to fuse box connection. now i have a spare ignition switch to lose within the depths of my garage !

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »
Welcome to the club. I have a few bits that were bought for all the right reasons, but turned out to become spares just in case

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal