Author Topic: Nitromors, is it just me?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Nitromors, is it just me?
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
Or has Nitromors lost some of it's 'bite' since they made it thixotropic?

In the 'old days' the clear Nitromors was pretty leathal stuff, one application was enough to get most paints wrinkling in seconds and I rarely had to apply a second coat.

Now I'm trying to stip the paint off the 750's tank and I've gone thorugh litres of this green (and damn expensive) gunge with hardly any effect!

Have they changed the formulation, and can anyone recommend a better, more effective paint stripper, bearing in mind this is a fuel tank so heat stripping is a no-no?
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Nitromors, is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »
I'm in the same boat, never tried Nitromors, but I'm using Blackfriar paint stripper on the house and it's taking a while, but in fairness I'm attacking paint thats 20 years old minimum (that peels off almost instantly) and about a quater inch of layers of paint underneath going back to victorian era stuff and the stipper does say on the tin that old pait may take several applications. The fumes off some strippers are quite toxic and can be harmful even in well ventilated areas (apparently the stuff in the blackfriar paint stripper makes carbon monoxide if braeathed in or if it gets on / is absorbed though your skin) so do make sure you use a mask (I found a tee shirt over my face as a facemask was better and more comfortable than any of the breathing gear Ihad around
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
Nitromors will affect some paints much more easilly than others, having used literally gallons of the stuff over the years I can tell you it will not touch certain paints.
My cb750 tank that I did (in hints and tips) had a really awfull thick coat of synthetic on it that the nitromors would not touch.
Even 40's grade production paper would have taken forever to hand sand it off.
So in the end , I used a heat gun, and it came off down to the bare metal in single passes with a scraper, took about five mins to do the whole tank.

Heat gun, NOT blow torch!!
I was a tad worried at first, but no probs.  If your tank has had fuel in it recently, then swill it out with parrafin, a few times, then swill that out with water, you can even fill your tank with water after this while you strip it .
After its stripped, swill the water out with paraffin  a few times, and swill that out with fuel.

I just had a car tank welded, and this is the procedure the welder did before welding, so it should not be a problem for a heat gun!   Do take your time to rinse out properly.

Hope this helps.

Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
Used some Nitro on bike stuff last year and it worked great, but I can remember years ago (1970's) trying to remove some paint from a Yamaha tank and it would not shift it. Tough stuff this old paint.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
Rinse out with parrafin as above, then blow carbon-monoxide into it from a running exhaust and it'll be safe to use a heat gun on.

It's the fuel vapour that's volatile as such so get rid of that and the whole thing is fairly inert.

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 07:01:39 AM »
Thanks folks, I actually rinsed the tank out with neat 'Gunk' engine cleaner than flushed with water, off to B&Q this morning to get a heat gun. Cheers, Paul
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal