Author Topic: Clutch plate direction  (Read 2032 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Clutch plate direction
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »
Quick question!  On the 750 77 K7 (and possibly other late clutches?) the outer clutch plate spiral goes anti-clockwise, what about the spiral on the other plates, does it go in the same direction or clockwise?  I imagine one way throws excess oil off so I don't want to get it wrong!  The Honda manual only shows straight cut friction plates

Help!!
Rob

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch plate direction
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
Just had a look in my GL1000 manual and that clutch is all spiral plates.  That manual states that ALL plates should point in the same direction, in the Goldwings case this is clockwise.  Since Honda says the last plate on the 750K7 should point anti-clockwise then all plates should point anti-clockwise - Yes?

I think that the Goldwing has a contrarotating clutch and alternator to balance out the torque so that may explain the differences in plate direction.

Help still needed!!
Rob

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:15:14 PM »
OK, no replies!  The plates are all going in anticlockwise to match the front plate.  Logically, since the clutch goes clockwise this will allow the plates to get rid of the excess oil better.  I'll see if I'm correct when the back gets used!  Its an easy fix if I'm wrong.

Rob

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »
I am sure there is a bulletin on it here Rob but I can't open the site must be down

http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?q=node/134

Cheers Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
Thanks Ash, I've just tried various ways of getting into the bulletins and it won't let me either.  I did see a photo of a 78 clutch that someone was having problems with and that had straight cut plates not spiral cut like mine.  The bulletin he was recommended concerned drilling extra oil holes in the clutch hub to give smoother clutch action.  When I test rode my bike before completely stripping it the clutch worked fine and it measures up as new.  The problem I found was that the person had assembled the clutch sequence incorrectly and also the spiral plates were put in random directions.  I think I may have a set of non-Honda clutch plates but don't want to change it because as I say it measures up as new specification.  It will be an easy change once its back on the road if there is a problem.

I will keep trying the bulletins.
Rob

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
It does seem to be busted this morning.

Glenn uses Twitter to inform as to status: http://twitter.com/#!/sohc4

However, there's nothing on there either (mind you, it is 4am over there)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal