Author Topic: cb750 oil change, info please.  (Read 6162 times)

Offline wingnut1

• View Profile
cb750 oil change, info please.
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
OK this will bring a smile to a lot of faces.
i am the proud owner of a CB750 sohc (approx 1970) chop,
from what Ive been told the has been bored out to 836.
now its time for an oil change, (this is when you all start to laugh) either I'm blind, stupid or something, but i cant seem to find much out about how to do it.
the Haynes manual is a total waste of time, looked many times , each time drawing a blank.
Ive looked on the internet but as of yet not found a decent explanation.
any dos or donts would be of a great help , I'm used to working on V8 s normally, bikes are  a new thing to me.
thanks
wingnut1

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Re: cb750 oil change, info please.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »
 ;) Start up bike and let it run for about 10 minutes, shut it off and put it on the center stand.start with the oil tank first.loosen the filler cap. Have a drain pan ready and remove the plug.After the tank is drained, replace and tighten the plug. Proceed on to the oil sump plug and drain the oil from there. Again, replace and tighten the plug.remove the oil filter housing. there is a thin washer between the oil filter element and the spring. This likes to stick to the filter and before you know it, you've thrown it away. crank the engine over a few times with the kick starter to get out the last remaining oil in the engine. Take a good look at what's in the bottom of the filter, as any bits of metal might be a warning that something's on it's way out. it might be worthwhile to drop the oil sump to give it a good cleaning and clean the oil pump gauze while the sump is off. Apply a bit of clean oil to the oil filter O-ring.With the bolt back in place, reassemble the oil filter housing with the spring first, then the washer and finally the new filter. Replace the filter onto the engine,do not to overtighten the bolt.Fill the oil tank with about three and a half pints of oil, the oil level will drop to its proper level when the engine is started. press the starter or kick it over a few times with the emergency stop switch off to circulate the oil into the empty filter housing before running the engine. After doing this, fire up the bike and the oil light goes out in a few seconds.if not your in trouble  :o check for oil leaks and oil level ;)

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »
As much as OEM oil filters are, they are still better quality than a lot of pattern filters that I have seen. I bought some cheap ones for my CB550 & under a sustained speed one split & caused a blockage in the oil flow. This seriously damaged the cam bearings & followers. Morris Oils do some reasonably priced mineral oil for the older bikes...not much point in using semi-synthetic.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline matpp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 10:34:30 AM »
;) Start up bike and let it run for about 10 minutes, shut it off and put it on the center stand.start with the oil tank first.loosen the filler cap. Have a drain pan ready and remove the plug.After the tank is drained, replace and tighten the plug. Proceed on to the oil sump plug and drain the oil from there. Again, replace and tighten the plug.remove the oil filter housing. there is a thin washer between the oil filter element and the spring. This likes to stick to the filter and before you know it, you've thrown it away. crank the engine over a few times with the kick starter to get out the last remaining oil in the engine. Take a good look at what's in the bottom of the filter, as any bits of metal might be a warning that something's on it's way out. it might be worthwhile to drop the oil sump to give it a good cleaning and clean the oil pump gauze while the sump is off. Apply a bit of clean oil to the oil filter O-ring.With the bolt back in place, reassemble the oil filter housing with the spring first, then the washer and finally the new filter. Replace the filter onto the engine,do not to overtighten the bolt.Fill the oil tank with about three and a half pints of oil, the oil level will drop to its proper level when the engine is started. press the starter or kick it over a few times with the emergency stop switch off to circulate the oil into the empty filter housing before running the engine. After doing this, fire up the bike and the oil light goes out in a few seconds.if not your in trouble  :o check for oil leaks and oil level ;)

My thin washer between the oil filter element and the spring is missing: is it a crucial part, if so where can I precure one or is it a standard washer?

Slowly getting on with my commissioning  ;)
Mathieu

1970 CB750K1
1970 Norton Commando 750S
2019 Aprilia Shiver 900.....great for the mountains!

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 10:45:20 AM »
David silver has them 15414300000
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 12:18:54 PM »
The washer is desirable in keeping to original specification certainly.

It's not  disaster or particularly any failure to run without because of the arrangement of the spring and filter etc.

Technically correct to use it as it prevents the open end of spring embedding into the filter rubber, but unlikely to give much in the way of side effect if left out.

Oil route through filter housing is to flood whole chamber from oil pump pressure side, oil then to exit via filter membrane, into filter bolt bore, then onwards into engine gallery.

The only alternative is if the filter becomes too blocked, the the oil goes into the filter bolt bore in the spring area by pushing open the internal valve in that bolt, to effectively bypass the filter material.

It'll all work with or without that washer, but worthwhile keeping to original design in getting a replacement. 

Offline matpp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 12:33:21 PM »
Thanks guys, ordered from France, same part number with Vintage bike company: I suspect they buy from David Silver 👍
Mathieu

1970 CB750K1
1970 Norton Commando 750S
2019 Aprilia Shiver 900.....great for the mountains!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »
I've seen a few bikes, when doing servicing, where the washer was missing and the spring went completely through the rubber ring on the filter, this allowed the filter to move up the bolt and in effect took it out of the system allowing unfiltered oil to pass around it. Not ideal. Always best to have it fitted if only to prevent the above happening.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 03:40:19 PM »
What happens is the owner does the "easy" oil change himself/herself does not know about the washer does not notice it stuck to the filter and throws it away.
It is not 100% necessary if you change filter regularly but is desirable and if it wasnt needed Honda would not have fitted it.
I worked for a big Honda dealer in the 70's and when i started they had never sold one, 9 months later they were ordering 5 at a time!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal