Author Topic: Crankcase bolt Torque Values  (Read 2474 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Crankcase bolt Torque Values
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »
This is for all you serial engine rebuilders!  What torque values should you use when joining the crankcase halves?  The values I have are:

Main bearing long M8 bolts: Honda Manual 14.5-18.1 ft lb.   Haynes says 17-18 ft lb

Other M6 bolts:  Honda Manual says in section 9-6, torque all bolts to 14.5-18.1 ft lb, in the Torque Data section at the front of the manual it says M6 crankcase bolts (quantity 6!) 13-15.9 ft lb.  Standard value for an M6 bolt on this engine is 8 ft lb.  Haynes says 8 ft lb in their book.  I believe there are errors in the Honda Manual data as this is not the first time I have found wrong values.

The 2 x M8 and 1 x M10 bolt at the rear of the crankcase:  I assume you use the same torque for these as you use for the surrounding M6 bolts?

what do you reckon?
Rob

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Crankcase bolt Torque Values
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
Straight answer---Don't know only ever used the torque wrench on the main bearing bolts!!

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crankcase bolt Torque Values
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply, that's what I will do!  I'll torque the main bearing bolts to spec' and pull all the others down evenly to the M6 standard.

I used to go by "feel" on other engines I've worked on but they were a bit looser on tolerances (literally) compared to Honda engines so I wanted to make sure of what others do

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal