Author Topic: Oil Filter Housing bolt stuck fast  (Read 2312 times)

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
Oil Filter Housing bolt stuck fast
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
The standard bolt head refused to budge and has now rounded off, even tried a bolt removal socket (Silverline) but just made it worse.

Have now got a nice 17mm replacement bolt from Wemoto to avoid future issues !

So can I drill the old one out safely without causing more damage, anyone tried this before or used other removal methods ?

Cheers, Ian

MIKE550/4

Re: Oil Filter Housing bolt stuck fast
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 12:35:26 PM »
i had the same problem, after trying lots of ways and different things

for me the answer was basically sharp chisel into the washer head part of bolt and tap it round, crude but it worked

maybe try heat aroud the bolt as well

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »

I've done it a number of ways over the years....small stillsons, or tapping on the next size down 12point socket, tapped on a big nut once and mig welded it to the rounded small head.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »
It is said by some that Honda did this on purpose to stop owners from overtightening it.

Me, I use a 17mm bolt on all (3) of mine   :)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
There is a whitworth size socket (3/16 or 1/4 can't remember which) that "Hammers on" nicely and the shocking usualy alows the bolt to be undone.

The 17mm is a risk as it can be overtightened and pull the thread, but then i also seen a numpty with a goldwing cross thread the standard bolt and keep on screwing it in till he realised the filter housing had a 1/16 inch gap on one side!!-----even better he then rode it 7 miles to us to ask us to fix it cheaply WRONG!!!

Dont forget there should be a steel washer between the spring and the oil filter, frequently thrown away with the filter as it sticks to the rubber

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
I've usually got them off by the hammer a smaller socket on if there's enough metal left to do it.

Doing it up whatever size you use, I tighten the bolt while holding the housing and you can just twist the casting a small amount back and forth to feel the o-ring compressing. Just as it gets too tight to turn the housing is when the o-ring is fully compressed and the casting is just about touching the cases. Stop at this point as there is no further sealing to be gained from adding more torque and you'll also be able to get it undone when you need to.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I usually use the big hammer on these, hammer on a one size too small socket (12 point) and this always gets them off, the hammering probably helps by jaring the threads loose.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, will get a big hammer and smaller socket ready for the weekend to give it another go. Failing that will try the chisel option  :o

Cheers, Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal