Author Topic: Another one in the midlands.  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Biggles

• View Profile
Another one in the midlands.
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
Hello all!

I'm a full time student and have been biking for 7years, I go by the name of Biggles in bike circles (Don't ask me why, I really don't remember)

I started on a cg125 and then onto a CX500 (which I loved), then a transalp 650 (which I didn't) then a cx500e THEN a cx650 and a cb125t (which was smoky but very good) THEN a cn250 (which was excellent but slightly scary handling wise).

I currently own two mz's (a dead one and this very much alive one) Hold your gafaws! I've been riding it every other day for well over a year, even in -12c and the snow its been utterly faultless throughout +very fun and quirksome bike.

and a gs500.

The mz is teriffic, the gs500, though nippy, efficient and modern is bloody awful. Well it isn't that bad, but its not enjoyable apart from in the best conditions when you can throw it around, on my commute I feel like I just might as well be driving the car. Mostly it just doesn't suit me.

This lead me to look for something with more character.. I'm told the cb400N and the like are a little faster and handle better, but they don't have the character. Modern just doesn't do it for me. So yesterday I picked up this!

1977 cb400/4 from a fellow only a few miles from myself!

Its been very rarely used in the past two decades but its in excellent condition cosmetically (I'll be trying to keep that up but its usually very low on my list of priorities, I have bikes to ride them)

I've only ridden it 20 miles but it made a big impression in that short distance!

A review I've read written in the 70's made me worry it might be uncomfortable. Compared to modern devices of torture masquerading as motorcycles, its a sofa. The riding position is perfect for me, seat height could be lower but the shocks are a little longer than stock.

The ride is also very nice, certainly not hinged in the middle as I was lead to believe! its composed and balanced and was a joy on the local backroads where I spend much of my riding time. Hopefully will have time to take it up to matlock at some point to really test it out.

I've never owned a 4 cylinder bike before, I really do like the engine, its exceptionally smooth, sounds like a gargling demon and when its opened up like the same demon plucking out nose hairs.

Anyways, thanks for reading if you got this far! see you out there!

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Another one in the midlands.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »
Wecome!  Might see you up Matlock some sunny Sunday!

Rob

Offline Mercury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
Hi and welcome, nice story and nice 400/4. Is the GS500 going to be outed, then? I've had a Yamaha XTZ750 for two years which I love and a  Honda CB550/4 which I have just got on the road, using it for my commute (all of 12 miles), great fun so far. But do I sell the Yamaha? I am not so sure...

Offline Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
Thanks guys :)

+Yep hopefully sometime soon I'll get upto matlock, its been a long time!

Ah the tenere, a friend of mine had one.. never seemed to come up at the right time at the right price :-\  they are quite similar to the transalp? (I was put off that because of chronic electrical problems.. one cylinder would intermittently cut out when it rained, not good in the corners!)

I'm a little bit conflicted about selling the gs.. while its got all the passion of a dead fish, it is brick wall solid and will cope with all the abuse you can throw at it day in day out without any fuss, drama or much maintenance (as long as you keep the oil at the right level).

My current financial situation might be the deciding factor. I'm a graduate about to do yet another degree and have spent a big load of money on a new bike that I don't technically need (as said, always wanted one ;D ).

Right now the question is to wait for September to find out where my placement will be or sell it now while its summer and it'll go for a little more.. the decision may be made for me by bills :(

Interesting you mention the short commute, mines pretty much the same distance, half dual carriageway and half in town... how does yours go on only being run a relatively short distance?

+ any tips on protecting the framework and shinyness over winter? and how are these beasties at <0c starting/running?

Off for another ride in a couple of hours ;D

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:02:41 PM »
+ any tips on protecting the framework and shinyness over winter?

Scot riders pointed me to ACF-50 in this... http://www.acf-50.co.uk/
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal