Author Topic: Done something bad?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Done something bad?
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
This has nothing to do with sohc honda's. this is to do with my Klr600, i am looking for opinions on a get out of trouble cheap bodge i have just carried out on my engine
What i have done is rebuild my top end , i got it all assembled, rode it to the mot station, after it passed i rode it around for about 15 miles, then i heard the engine noise increase to a loud tapping, i got the bike home took off the rocker cover only to find one of the cam caps very loose, one of the bolts had pulled up with the stress and stripped the thread, anyway there is no room to drill and insert a helicoil due to the frame ect, i was really peed off and did not want to strip it down again, new gaskets ect, so i remembered when i took apart one of my honda engines i found someone had got round a similar problem by using a oversized course threaded bolt and letting it cut its own path, so i searched my bolt box and found this very bolt, it was the same length as the one that had stripped and was 1 mm wider with a course thread, yes you guessed it, i tried out this and it seemed to work , it has torqued down to spec i have  reasembled my engine and it sounds sweet, i figure that if this does not work then my only other option is to bite the bullet and  remove the head and tap it properly
Any comments welcome
Pete
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:58:47 AM by UK Pete »

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Done something bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:01:48 AM »
Give it 500-1,000 miles and if it aint come loose carry on.

If it does need doing you are past the helicoil stage now, look at keenserts or timeserts

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »
Don't fix it unless it's broke, I had a similar one when I was changing the cambox philips to allen bolts when I bought my F1 new in 1976, it lasted for 30 years, until I rebuilt the engine.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »
You've effectiveley made a large self tapper into solid metal as opposed to plastic or thin sheet.

I'd guess that the first risk is to get it in fully without snapping it so ok on that score, secondly if it takes the torque loading then it indicates that you have enough overlap of metal to make it a decent engineering solution for the original problem.

As the others said, as long as you are aware and primed to any noise if it comes loose then I'd leave it alone if it's taking the load ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal