Author Topic: Rewiring K2 with later high beam switch  (Read 7290 times)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rewiring K2 with later high beam switch
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »
That sounds like good news, and some positive progress.

Plenty of time now to work on other stuff before next spring.

I've always painted the sprocket area with a very pale gold hammerite as noboby really gets to see it and it looked nice to me and easy to keep clean/inspect.

That point you said about the chain making marks in the cases, I feel that this happens when people let the chain get to worn (pitch elongated compared to sprocket) and make an adjustment to the slack and think it's ok. The engine braking is fairly strong on these with the thottle completely closed and any error pushes the chain off the front of the front sprocket. It's this that causes the marks and sometimes if severe will bunch and smash the cases.

With a new chain it will never reach the cases even with too much slack in adjustment of the main runs if that makes sense.

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »

Again, Ithankyou, Ithankyou . . .

Bryan - gotta agree that the pressure got to the engine and caused/worsened the issues with the case join at the rear and the neutral switch.  Actually, I'm sorta surprised it held together as well as it did and that I didn't get leaks from other joints.  As for the side cover leaks, there's no doubt the pressure didn't help, but then I shouldn't imagine cavernous gaps between the covers and the engine faces were doing me any favours at all, either.  And it's still dry today - hooray.

K2 - good point about the chain.  I've got no idea when the marks were put on mine, other than at some point before I got anywhere near it.  Must've happened a while ago, 'cos when I got the bike it had a 16t front sprocket on it, and it'd have to really go some to connect from there.  I've got an 18t on now, and that feels great.

Ages ago I tracked down one of these:

It's a NOS case protector.  Think I paid about

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 05:22:53 AM »
Should fit with a 17 tooth which from memory was the standard for years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal