Author Topic: Wont go into neutral when running.  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Wont go into neutral when running.
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
Got my cb750 home tonight. Cant ride it as neither me, or the bike, are legal yet.
Rode it up the drive and all seems well, but it wont go into neutral with the engine running.

Its not been ridden for a year or more and has only run for about 5 mins in the last year.

Clutch seems fine, select 1st and it will pull away lovely. I can select second with the engine running (bike stationary) but it doesnt always like it.
Cant get it into neutral though. Turn it off and it changes gear and goes into neutral just fine.

Any ideas? Could it just be because its not been used recently?

I cant really test ride it as i dont have my license yet.

Thanks.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Wont go into neutral when running.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
Although the clutch is working well when you pull the lever if it still drags slightly then finding neutral will be more difficult.

If it's dragging it means the plates are not being fully released so that the motor is still trying to drive the back wheel so as you pull the gear lever up it feels slightly tight as the gear shafts are still under load, then as you pull it further it passes straight into 2nd. Common with this would be the feeling that the bike pulls away when the clutch during release is still close to the bar rather than about half way out.

Can be a simptom of sitting around i which case it'll get better after a good run out and the oil also gets up to decent temp.

You can check that it is releasing as much as possible i.e. the lever has full un-impeded travel all the way to the bar and only a small amont of free play in the cable.

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »
I did adjust the cable a little. Lever has full travel. The clutch was starting to engage when the lever was maybe half way out.
The bite point is a little further out now, but there is still a little free play when the lever is pulled before the clutch starts to disengage.

I cant feel any drag in the clutch at all, seems to be working well.

When i try and put it into neutral, sometimes it will just go straight into second, sometimes the gear lever wont move at all, it feels jammed solid. Turn it off and it slips into neutral with just the slightest push up on the lever.

Ill see if it smooths up when i start riding it, if not, i have a new spare clutch.

Thanks for the help.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
There is also adjustment at the clutch end if you take the outer cover off.

You'd expect to see the small lever that the cable goes to start off at about 7-8 o'clock position and when the lever is pulled should go to about 4.30-5 o'clock. If it starts off too far anti-clockwise the last bit of travel is not very effective. The adjust ment for this is to slacken the cable at bar-end then undo the locknut at bottom end center, then use the central screw to get the lever to the correct start point and lock the nut again. If you put the screw too far in against resistance you'll cause the clutch to slip.

I do think it'll be better after a run out though as being left for any length of time with any clutch will quite often make it a bit sticky so I wouldn't chase it too much until you've run it more.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal