Author Topic: Stiff throttle.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline kevin 755

• View Profile
Stiff throttle.
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Hi my 750K6 has a very stiff throttle action presumerbley from being unused for 11 yrs.Is this normal? I have greased and oiled the linkages and cables where I can with only little improvement,also the adjuster screw under the twistgrip makes no difference. Anyone can help?
Kev. 

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Stiff throttle.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
Well I guess its normal for things to seize up when unused yes. My bet would be its the cables. Try disconnecting them from the carbs and see if throttle is still stiff. They will no doubt need a good oiling all the way through. If you don't have a cable oiler remove them and hang them up in garage and make a little plasticine cup around the top and fill it with oil. Leave it overnight and you should see oil dripping from the bottom.
 If its not the cables it could be sticking pistons in the carbs or the twistgrip / friction adjuster but these are less likely

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Stiff throttle.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »
They are normally heavy especially when compared to more recent CV carbs in which you only open a butterfly as opposed to the K6 with slides.

Assuming that all the linkages are free moving there is a bit that sometimes gets missed in that the throttle pull cable has to be adjusted with enough slack so that it will not conflict with the closing cable.

It seems odd to set it up with slack in it but without you'll just get one binding against the other and this will make it very stiff to operate.

As a guide to check it with motor not running, open fully and let go it should flick back closed easily. Then try it at both extremes of steering lock it should still do the same both ways, if not you don't have enough slack.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal