Author Topic: Clutch problem  (Read 3349 times)

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Clutch problem
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
I'm having problems with my clutch and the guy at the garage is getting frustrated...
The problem is that the bike is trying to "set off" with the clutch lever engaged. By adjusting the cable, this can be avoided but at the expense of the the clutch slipping under any sort of stress.
I've had new friction plates and springs fitted, but this hasn't cured the problem. Can anybody any ideas I can suggest to the garage?

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
It seems as though the clutch lifter cam and release shaft aren't moving back enough to fully disengage the clutch.
I would like to avoid getting replacement ones if it can be avoided and I'm not sure if the existing bearings are the right size.
Could any one tell what size the 3 bearings should be, and what thickness the thrust washer( Honda Ref. 90455 333 010) should be?
Cheers

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
I'm not familiar with 400 operating mech (750s are more my addiction) but it sounds slightly odd and as you say as if the total lift is not enough. Assuming it's hard to change the lift ratio then I'd suspect that the clutch plates could be either warped or incorrectly assembled and maybe worth a look to be confident that you're not trying to adjust your way out of something that's incorrect.

Also some silly things to rule out, it hasn't got those thick bar grips that will stop the clutch lever getting full travel has it.

Pattern clutch lever of different curve that also stops too soon and the pivot point bearing worn so that the leverage point is incorrect.

If you've get about 1mm slack at the bar end adjuster it should be able to complete a disengage before it gets to the bars though.

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »
Problem solved.
It seems that the bearings might have been worn and maybe caused damage to the cam lifter.
Replacing the old thrust washer with one of a known correct size, and also fitting a new cam lifter/bearings has done the job.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »
Ah it did sound like a slightly odd problem, good you've got it sorted out and get out to enjoy the lovely weather!! ha ha. It was pouring down here for most of today but we did get 2 from the forum out at the ace cafe today.

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »
Hi Ted,

I have exactly the same problem with my 400. Sorry to be a pain but could you give me the part numbers of the parts you had to replace? I've fitted new friction plates and check the metal plates are flat but no change. If anything it's worse.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
Hi Lynx,

I had the cam lifter assembly and thrust washer replaced.

I don't know if the individual parts are still available and got mine as a set from a used parts supplier.
Not sure whether it is good practice to put email addresses on here, so if you want his contact details, please pm. me.

I can send you a copy of the parts list too,  to help you identify them.

Offline Lynx

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
Hmm. Seems like none of that stuff is available anymore :'(.

My problem seems worse when hot. I just can't get it into neutral when stationary. So I thought it was probably a bent plate which was warping more when it got hot.
To try and sort this I've fitted new friction plates, checked spare metal plates for flatness and installed them, fitted a spare clutch basket with new damping rubbers and checked all those parts Ted mentions above. There is a little bit of wear on them but they don't look bad to me. I've checked it is adjusted right.

Any ideas anyone?
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline Lynx

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
Thanks for the tips  Oddjob. I'll check it out.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:21:56 AM »
Hi Lynx,

If wanting 'odd / unobtainable' bits Steve of

http://www.400fourbits.co.uk

often is able to supply... and occasionally breaks down assemblies as required... so you don't have to buy the full lot. Worth a look if you've not seen his website before...

Offline pcandelaria

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 05:39:51 PM »
Problem solved.
It seems that the bearings might have been worn and maybe caused damage to the cam lifter.
Replacing the old thrust washer with one of a known correct size, and also fitting a new cam lifter/bearings has done the job.

Hi Ted.  I have a similar problem with my CB750.  What was the width/dimensions of your thrust washer?  Original parts are not available anymore so I'm looking for a replacement.

Best,
Pierre

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »
Hmm. Seems like none of that stuff is available anymore :'(.

My problem seems worse when hot. I just can't get it into neutral when stationary. So I thought it was probably a bent plate which was warping more when it got hot.
To try and sort this I've fitted new friction plates, checked spare metal plates for flatness and installed them, fitted a spare clutch basket with new damping rubbers and checked all those parts Ted mentions above. There is a little bit of wear on them but they don't look bad to me. I've checked it is adjusted right.

Any ideas anyone?

I had an issue on my 400/4 where the clutch as you were initially letting it out was grabbing and the not (repeat ).
I was given a tip which cured this. If you look at the metal plates they are stamped out and on the outer edge they have a sharp side and a rounded side.
These all need to be facing the same way (I did mine facing IN)
Problem cured ;D ;D
There is another post about it on here or the site over the pond.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Lynx

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
Hi Paul. I did resolve the problem in the end by replacing the whole of the lifting mechanism with good secondhand stuff from Germany via eBay. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal