Author Topic: CB350K Front forks  (Read 1856 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
CB350K Front forks
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
....are rubbish.  I just filled mine with oil as I imagined their lack of damping could have been due to the fact that I had rebuilt them many years ago but never refilled them.  When I took it for a test ride up a rough track I hit a bump and it bottomed out badly and I thought my shoulder joints were going to explode.

Anyway, with this in mind I refilled the forks with oil and it hardly has made any difference.  I think they simply must be worn out.  I neglected to measure anything when I took it apart but suspect the damper has worn down.

Does anyone have any cheap suggestions for repair to get through an MOT?  In the past I have tried engine oil but this makes them too stiff.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:45:11 PM by florence »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB350K Front forks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »
What oil are you using? a heavier grade of fork oil may improve the damping and as far as testing goes as long as oil does not pee out and there is some element of damping it passes!!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
SAE 10W

No oil leak and some damping but feels terrible compared to the 500.  Perhaps I will just send it for MOT and see what happens.

Need to get some tyres now which is a bit annoying as they have plenty of tread on them but hairline splits are showing on the side walls.  Being such a skinflint, this could put the project back years  :)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »
Put some 20 or 30 in them, 10 is a bit light, Technicaly unless one crack(s) is over 1 inch(NOT THE SUM OF ALL THE CRACKS!!) or you can see cord structure they cannot be failed or go the route of the Fastest Indian film and polish them with black shoe polish.

Try reading:-

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

this is the testers manual and, in theory, cannot be deviated from
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:28:14 PM by Bryanj »

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »
I like the boot polish idea, I used this method in my youth and had forgotten about it.  Great idea because actually the splitting is not too bad.

Thanks for the advice Bryan, it could be on the road sooner than I thought possible.  I will try SAE 30W and and see what happens.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
How about ATF?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal