Author Topic: New guy, old bike.  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Captain Snakebite

• View Profile
New guy, old bike.
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
Evening all - just a quick pop-in to say Hi.

So - erm... - Hi!

Am currently in the process of acquiring the makings of (what I hope will be) a nice little project (400f2 motor in a 550k rolling chassis if all goes according to plan).

I'm a desk-jockey by day but am pretty comfortable around spanners and oily things that go BRUMMM.

My mystical super-power is the ability to ask really stupid questions, so apologies in advance folks!  :)

If it ain't broke - it'll probably wait 'til it's raining and you've got to be somewhere important.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: New guy, old bike.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »
hi captain, welcome to the forum, interesting project, i am not sure its possible to fit a 400 engine to a 550 frame but i am sure someone on here will know for sure!! regards,Mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
Cheers Mick

Am hoping it'll be mostly a case of a 550K front mount and some rummaging through tons of bolts to find the right sizes - if nowt else, it'll keep me busy for a while. :-D

Owen
If it ain't broke - it'll probably wait 'til it's raining and you've got to be somewhere important.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »
Welcome

The 550 rolling chassis is heavier than the 400.  Why do it, won't it be very underpowered?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
37bhp vs 50bhp.

You'd lose the agility of the 400 by using the larger rolling chassis.

Still, as they say, you can fit anything to anything with a bit of fabrication!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »
I think you are into lots of special spacers and bolts to do that, easier to fit any 500/550 engine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
Welcome

The 550 rolling chassis is heavier than the 400.  Why do it, won't it be very underpowered?

I'd thought about that, but there's only about 14kg in it - according to wikipedia anyway - and I was planning on a bit of a lightening exercise anyway, with a nod to cafe styling and keeping unnecessary bits to a minimum.  I reckon that as I'm only 10 1/2 stones dripping wet anyway, 37 gee-gees should be plenty enough to play with.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
Thats 37 very old and tired japanese Gee Gees, and at the crank! so it'l be a fair bit less now

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
Thats 37 very old and tired japanese Gee Gees, and at the crank! so it'l be a fair bit less now

True, but I'm pretty worn out myself these days.  ;)

Anyway, the tape measure's been depressing the daylights out of me lately and no matter how many times I measure things, the lump won't fit without some pretty severe frame butchery.  It's a nice solid frame and I don't want to take cutters to it, so am admitting defeat and shopping for a 400 frame.  Luckily I know a chap who might have a spare stashed somewhere.

Fingers crossed...  ;D

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »
I guess most people trying to shoe-horn a bigger motor into a small frame is more conventional.

You could try and squeeze it into something newer for a hybrid.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal