Author Topic: This looks Like a Sandcast to me !!!  (Read 3317 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
This looks Like a Sandcast to me !!!
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:03 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330585694993&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Looks like a fairly  unmolested  Sandcast and that double cut fender looks pretty good to me!!

Not going to bid though - will stick with my genuine UK diecast - we never got any Sandacasts here apart from the 'Brighton Show Bike'

Cheers AshD
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:33:48 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: This looks Like a Sandcast to me !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
The engine number fits into the sandcast numbers, so it probably is. I may throw a bid at it later, but suspect that the price will become silly.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »
 ::) the yanks love them old sandcasts, makes you wonder how they got it out of the country, ,no big deal over here as we never got them first time around  :-*

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »
Can't think why DK don't advertise it as a Sandcast. Its usually the other way round K0 die casts advertised as Sandcasts. I have heard people moan about DK but I recently got a pair of CB350 wheels from them and the delivery was only just above a fiver which is a breath of fresh air.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
Florence, looks like you've already owned this one with those bars and seat!!!!!!!!

Steady now.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »
Got this reply on the Sandcast only site

mb69
Re: Looks like a Sandcast to me but I am no expert !

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:19:07 PM »
Interesting as the engine number is right in the middle of the sandcast batch. How could the cases be replaced without changing the engine number?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:31:06 AM »
Numbers might be restamped on new blank cases,
This will be an interesting auction, lets have a guess at the finishing price, i say

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
My UK K0 had replacement cases very early in its life under warranty because of chain breakage and the engine number pad is blank. If I ever get it finished :) I will stamp the engine with its original number, which is perfectly legitimate, as I believe having an engine number stamped in  is better than none at all.  Would not like to guess on the price - who knows with eBay - depends if DK come clean and tells everyone that the engine cases have been replaced with diecast ones.

Evidently dealers could restamp the replacement cases with the original engine number but most did not bother. They would have to buy/acquire  a set of stamps. The Honda style of stamp was never issued to dealers so certain chracters are a dead giveaway. Vic World via the the Sandcastonly site commented as follows although his comments were about  ANOTHER K0 NOT THE DK ONE ON eBay.

"This is an engine case that has been stamped over here in the US.

It is most likely a replacement case-warranty (the blank cases always came from Honda with NO numbers, and it was the responsibility of the Dealer here to stamp the original numbers in). Some Dealers did, and some didn't...depending if they had the incentive enough to go to the hardware store and buy a set of number stamps. (Honda did NOT offer their own stamps to anyone..obviously).

The dead give away is the number "9"...this proves these cases in question were not stamped at the factory.

From the factory in Japan, the "9" character always had a funny looking "droop" to it (like an over ripe pear hanging on a tree)...and the cases here with "8229" do not have that type of "9".

The other foto of the (Factory) cases (#31927) DO have that usual droopy 9..

Vic"

Sandcast guru ChrisR commented yesterday  on the Sandcastonly site on the DK K0 on eBay UK at the moment, as follows:

"I did see this bike about a week ago at a show. It is a sandcast VIN, but with replacement die cast cases. Correct rear rim, gas tank, recessed switch, front fender (a bit beat up, but solid). Seat base is the worst I have ever seen (only about 50% remains beneath the foam / cover).

As to the price... let each make there own mind up about that!

Cheers - Chris R."

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
I asked the questions to DK and they have responded and put their reply at the bottom of the listing - basically it is a Sandcast VIN frame but with replacement diecast cases.

Cheers

AshD

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
Did anyone on here buy it for 3 grand!

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »
Did anyone on here buy it for 3 grand!

Apart from the rarety it was a shed, been laying somewhere in the rain for years, that is a project!!!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
I would say that was a fair price, and am glad there was not a frenzi of bidding , there was a time not so long back that ratty k1's and k2's were starting to fetch that price

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal