Author Topic: Starter Clutch  (Read 997 times)

Aberdonian James

Starter Clutch
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
I'm looking for some advice about my F1 starter clutch.
The starter was engaging only intermittently so I bought a Starter Clutch Repair Kit and the puller for the rotor. However, once I'd removed the rotor I discovered more damage than could be repaired with the kit. The three screws that hold the starter clutch outer to the rotor were broken and all but destroyed. The rotor itself bears scars from previous botched jobs and one of the screw holes looks like it's been repaired with a helicoil in the past. Everything is pretty chewed up but it also appears that the clutch was assembled without the Plate, Starting Clutch Side shown in the Parts Book.
It seems that I can obtain a new rotor and outer and, of course I've already got the rollers and springs from my repair kit. I can't find the screws but I suppose that I could get some 8mm screws and cut them to length. However, I can't find the Plate, Starting Clutch Side (28128-516-000).
Can someone tell me what function this plate has? Can anyone suggest where I might get one - either new or used?
Thanks,
James

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Clutch
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:34:03 AM »
I think that is just a "shim" to hold everything in the correct alignment, I am a great believer in that if honda fitted it in the first place there is a reason for it  and it is necessary. Your best bet is a used unit complete, i believe any 750 SOHC will be the same

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
Having done some more research now I'm awake and that part is not fitted on the later "F" series whilst the outer and rotor are the same part numbers so it may well not be necessary.

I have also found in my ever decreasing "stash" of 750 parts a complete rotor with starter outer, rollers, pins, springs and the big gear(which can also give trouble if the ground surface is not good). I don't think this has ever been dismantled as the screws are tight and still have the cinch marks into the outer. If you want this I'm sure we can come to an agreement on price BUT it's heavy so postage won't be cheap.

If you are interested please PM me with your email address and we will chat

Cheers
Bryan

Aberdonian James

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »
Hi Bryan
Thanks for the advice and the offer. I'm bidding on an assembly on that well-known Internet auction site but, if I'm unsuccessful, I'l take you up on your offer.
Thanks again,
James

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal