Author Topic: Front sprocket float  (Read 1365 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Front sprocket float
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
Question for those with experience of 750K7 (and F2?).  The nearly new front ( engine) sprocket on my bike has a small amount of end float when the bolt is tightened which allows the sprocket to wobble slightly.  Is this normal on these bikes or is it supposed to be rigidly fixed?  I have seen in print that some other makes have this feature but have not come across it before.  I thought that this would increase the wear on the drive splines.

Secondly, does the shouldered side of the sprocket face out or towards the engine?

Rob

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket float
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
Hi Rob i think the little bit of play is normal  and i can't remember which side the shoulder goes soz? others may chime in with better answers  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
H i Rob, i have had a dig around on sohc.net and everyone reckons shoulder to the inside hope this helps  ;), cheers Mick.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
Thanks for your help Mick.  Mine was on the other way but considering the other things I have found I couldn't trust it!

Rob

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:37:41 PM »
Just checked official workshop manual for K7/F2 and very hard to find a reference to the front sprocket at all.

The only picture I can see is in engine removal and clearly shows the sprocket mounted with the flat side visible when installed, indicating that any lip is placed toward the gearbox seal/bearing.

I've always fitted them this way on other 750s.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »
Thanks K2.  I looked in the Honda manual and couldn't find anything at all.  I can see it now in section 5-3 but mine's a photocopy and not clear at all.

Rob

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
Update:  Just bought a genuine Honda front sprocket off ebay (NOT paying Honda price!) and that's a little thicker than the pattern sprocket that was fitted before.  The back and forth movement is reduced but the rotational movement remains.  Reading the US site it seems that this was normal on some trail bikes as well as some road bikes (including the K7/8) and is supposed to allow for any slight chain misalignment.  The front sprockets are supposed to be softer than the output shaft to stop ruining the shaft, I haven't checked the Honda sprocket yet but the pattern sprocket had been hardened.

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal