Author Topic: Not new member but new to the area!  (Read 2930 times)

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Not new member but new to the area!
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
Hi basketcase here, just moved down to Somerset and was wondering how many of you peoples are about this area? I`ve seen a couple of sohc 4`s through the village, both very nice. A 400/4 and a 500/4. Does anyone fancy showing me the local rideouts, nothing too fast (!) just a sunday meander through the lanes.
Cheers Nigel.
Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Not new member but new to the area!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:42:04 PM »
Somerset is a big place Nigel.  Be more specific?

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
Tell me about it!! Only been down here a month and have managed to find 3 different ways out of Taunton....none the correct way home! I live about 8 miles south of Taunton, 4 miles north of Wellington a small village called Milverton. For now anyway. Have bought a place in Oake but it needs a load of work so staying with the daughter for a few months. Oake is the next village so not too far away. There is a great little place for bike bits just outside of Taunton, near junction 25 of the M5, bitsforbikes I think it`s called. Helped me out when the split link broke on my Matchless. Hoping to meet up with Florence, who lives nearby.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:19:19 AM »
Welcome to Somersetshire.

The Vintage Motorcycle club (Devon Section) organises a run over Exmoor which takes a lovely route and I have been meaning to go on it for years but never get round to it.

I usually ride....... to the shops or into Devon for work, I don't ride for leisure as it were.

I haven't seen another 500/4 since I saw one in Bristol in 1998.  The bike belonged to a French couple who were touring England, but sadly the gearbox failed and they sold their machine to a local bike shop. 

I do not know of any other SOHC bikes in the area.  The only person I know with a bike has a Laverda Jota.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
\if you want to wave tonight i will be delivering a load of Britvic to lee mills tonight!!

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
 ??? ??? ???

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »
Bryan drives a truck...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
The only thing that comes down these lanes are tractors....at 2am!!!Combine harvesters with a million watt spotlamps in the fields opposite and 3 tractors running alongside... Bloody countryside!!!
 I`ll still wave..hope that you`ve good eyesight!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
I've been out on that bike run a couple of times and it was a very good day out, well worth puting in your calender for the future.

Usually in July I think? and lots of interesting stuff out and about, pre 78 brit/italian/older jap stuff. I went both times riding a friends brit twin (changing gear with brake and the opposite) and had a brilliant time.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »
ooh arrrrr, don't complain about tractors if you live in the country, you'll be moaning about the smell of cowshit in the air next! ;D Biggest problem we have in the country is horse shit, right on the apex of a bend where you want your front wheel to be on the racing line! >:( Mind you, horses taste good with chips peas and mustard ;) On a more serious note, down my way (Junction 30, M5) I have seen many wonderful old sohc bikes, a real mint 400/4 in yellow, a 500/4 in dark green with original pipes too 8) If you want to come down sometime, we'll arrange a ride out, Taunton is less than 30 miles away, so very close really!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:39 AM »
Lee Mills is a place nearly in Plymouth and if you buy the pepsi/tango/etc from a machine its delivered from there by a firm called KNDL

The fun bit is the 28 Tonne of cider out of Shepton Mallet on the way back

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
Not complaining about the countryside....just the noise!! Thought that I`d escaped that!! Smell???? Always blamed the wife`s cooking for that ;)
Cider.....probably the wrong part of the country to move to as I`m not much for the taste! Did all of the cider reach it`s destination??!!
When I eventually manage to get the K3 running half decent I`ll take you up on the offer of a ride out, the more the merrier! My local ride out used to be the Cat and Fiddle road, from Buxton to Macclesfield. What a road!! There`s me giving it my all, on my Honda, and all of the sports bikes passing me as if I`m standing still! But just to rub salt in a cb250 passed me >:(.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal