Author Topic: My 550  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Ooops

• View Profile
My 550
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Here it is all nice and shiny:)
The picture was taken last year.

Unfortunately there is a knocking/clanking noise coming from the back of the engine. From what I can make out it appears to be coming from the gearbox area. I've tried pulling in the clutch to see if it goes away no luck. It does seem to lessen under increased revs.

I have carried some work so far thinking I was solving the problem. So far I've replaced the cam chain, plugs, air filter, oil filter and housing (old one had to be encouraged to leave the bike) Adjusted the tappets. All this part of the engine seems to be good now. Still I have the knocking/clanking noise

I do know the timing is out (would like a boyer bransden electronic ignition when funds allow) and I think I will strip the carbs and service them.
It runs and pulls quite well, although I can find a few false neutrals when changing up from 2-3-4.
Not entirely sure what to do next. I was thinking of buying another engine to put in it until I can afford to sort the other one.
I have only really started working on my own bikes for the last year or so and to be honest I have very little mechanical experience. But that said I have tools and workshop manuals so more than happy to take things apart and see what happens.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Tim
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:37:15 AM by Ooops »

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: My 550
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »
Probably a silly reply BUT....have you checked that the sprocket is tight??
Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline Ooops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »
Probably a silly reply BUT....have you checked that the sprocket is tight??

I'll check but the noise is there right from when I start the bike up and ticking over.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
Might be a good idea to check carb balance, my good lady's cb650 shitehawk (Oops, Nighthawk) did the same, so we bought it for peanuts, if the noise stops when you put it in gear, that's probably a large part of it. (Cheap and easy fix!)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
You do need to check the simple and cheap things first as already suggested by the other posts.

But if you get nowhere then I'd suspect more the gearbox but it's hard to tell without hearing the noise in person.

Specifically if the gear spacing (assembly washers etc) is incorrect, or shift fork bent then you can get two gears trying to partly engage at the same time and making the noise, also the difficulty in changing gear points in this direction.

If you can run it on the mainstand in each of the gears then is the noise absent or any worse for a particular ratio? is it a cositant noise or more random?

Offline Ooops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:53:33 PM »
Over the last two days and several phone conversations, poking, prodding, head scratching and a visit from a vastly more knowledgable friend.
I've decided to take out my engine and replace with another one that I've managed to pick up.
Then I can start stripping down the original engine and refurbish it.
It will take a while but I'm looking forward to the challenge and having a sorted bike 8)

Thanks for the advice.
With any luck the replacement engine will be in by Sunday.
I'll post the progress as I go.

Offline Ooops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Some progress at last.
Sunday night bid on a replacement engine.
Monday picked it up.
Tuesday did nothing.
Wednesday removed exhaust, carbs, airbox, cables, rocker cover and other stuff. Fastened ratchet strap around the engine. Placed two scissor jacks with a piece of wood on to support the engine. Removed all bolts. Then jacked up the engine slowly adjusting the strap as I raised it. Had a cup of tea and waited for my hired muscle Steve to arrive. Steve turns up, strap removed whilst he balanced the engine. We then lifted it from the frame put it in the worktop. Did the exact opposite to fit replacement engine.

Thursday fitted carbs, rocker cover with new gasket, screws and some bolts, exhaust, cables, adjusted cam chain, new plugs, new oil filter and oil. Hooked up a remote fuel tank and after a couple of turns it started :o I was quite surprised to be honest, first time I've swapped an engine.

There are jobs still to do. Such as tappet adjustment, flush out the engine and put in some more oil and the cables need adjusting. Oh I also have a new chain and sprocket to fit. Still to check clutch and gears. Hopefully a road test on Sunday and with any luck I should be able to mot it next week :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal