Author Topic: Electric starting whilst in gear  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Galea

• View Profile
Electric starting whilst in gear
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »
My CB750F1 crunches when going from neutral into first gear at idle.  It seems somewhat a common problem, so sometimes I select first, pull in the clutch and start the engine afterwards.  On a friend's F1, with first already selected and clutch engaged, engine can be started both by electric start and by kickstart.  However on mine, this is possible only by kickstart.  If I press starter button, nothing happens.  Engine starts by starter perfectly if the gearbox is in neutral.  Does this model have an electric circuit which prevents electric starting whilst in gear or do I have a problem?  Looking forward to your views.  Thanks and regards, Joseph.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Electric starting whilst in gear
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
Yes it does have a very basic safety circuit. The usual culprit is the little plunger switch mounted in a hole on the left hand switchgear ::). It is designed so that the starter will not operate unless the clutch is pulled in whilst the bike is in gear, and the little switch often becomes stuck with the plunger  "IN", (as in the clutch being engaged, free lever) You can see if you can free it off with a bit of tapping (gently, it's only plastic) or buy another switch (less than
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
Just found one of the switches on e-bay, listed for cb400/4, but it is the same item, item no:300184704803,
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Galea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
Thanks for your help, the clutch lever switch is indeed broken.  However, I also identified a problem with the clutch starter diode behind the left sidepanel.  I will order both parts and keep fingers crossed  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:11:39 PM by Galea »

Offline Galea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:21 PM »
Clutch lever switch and diode replaced, now working as it should  :)  Thanks for the advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal