Author Topic: CB500/4 VALVE ADJUSTMENT.  (Read 2258 times)

Offline barney

• View Profile
CB500/4 VALVE ADJUSTMENT.
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
I have got to the stage of my CB500/4 K1 engine rebuild of fitting the cylinder head cover. All the valve guide adjusters are in a loose condition as they were removed for cleaning etc.
The manual gives a clear description of how to adjust the inlet and exhaust vales which is not a problem.
My question is how to do you find that cylinder 1 or 4 is at TDC and both vales are closed for the first adjustment, when all the 8 adjustments screws and nut are loose, ie, not any are touching any of the valves.
Hope this makes sense ?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB500/4 VALVE ADJUSTMENT.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
If you haven't yet fitted the rocker cover, turn the crankshaft until "T" 1.4 is lined up in the points cover. Look at the position of the cam lobes for cylinder 1, if they are facing down toward the cylinder head, that means you can put the rocker box on, and adjust valves for cylinder 1, then follow on in the usual adjustment procedure. If the lobes are NOT facing downward, rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees then check again, this time they should be facing down, then carry on as above
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline barney

• View Profile
Re: CB500/4 VALVE ADJUSTMENT.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Brilliant many thanks. I have the cover off at the moment and i have just fitted the cam and chain. The notch on the cam shaft is on the right hand side as per my manual with the cam lobes of cylinder number 4 pointing down, but the manual shows the cam lobes pointing up at this setting, is mine ok ?
If so, i can just turn the crank through 360 and adjust cylinder 1 as you have described.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal