Author Topic: Lost key  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Fourthegoodtimes

• View Profile
Lost key
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:49 PM »
Hi, I have managed to lose my only key to the seat lock :'( I know I should have got a spare cut ages ago, but I was never going to lose it was I.............................................

Well now I have and don't really know what to do, drill it out? get someone to pick it?

I have looked all over it - well as much as I can see - for a number or a code but nothing is visible.

Anyone on here have any sensible :) suggestions please?

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lost key
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
what bike do you have? we may be able to help?, cheers Mick

Offline Fourthegoodtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »
Hi Mick, I have a 1975 CB550 K US import.

Thanks.

Jon.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:21:38 AM »
You can, with a fiddle, undo the nuts holding the seat lock plunger so that you can open the seat and unbolt the lock, there is a number on it somewhere or you can get a new lock

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
If you have a suitable small blade or similar it might be worth trying to pick it before fiddling with the bolts.

With a very slight pressure try to turn the lock with the blade whilst rocking it to depress the pins in turn, if there's enough play in the lock the pins will disengage in turn and once thy're all out of the grove the lock is open and will turn. You can also try working a pin at a time from the back if you can feel the blade on them. If you've ever had a lock barrel out it's easier to visualise what your trying to do.
I taught myself this as a kid and got quite good at it, also used to be able to undo combination locks, haven't tried it for years now. I used to swap the chains on other kids push bikes for a laugh.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
Well Totty!

There is a big house with a massive safe next door to us..............
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Fourthegoodtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice :) I have discovered that my safe breaking career is a non starter so went down the route of growing 8 inch long by .3 inch wide multi directional fingers :o That is to say I have finally removed both bolts and got the seat off!! The biggest disappointment was not finding "the lost key" under the seat. :-[

Now to get the number off the barrel and get TWO keys cut. ;D

Offline meerkat

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
I had 2 new keys cut by a local locksmith.
I was surprised to find that he was able to put the key number from the seat lock into a computer program and cut the keys to original spec.  8)
Cost was
Retired and spending my children's inheritance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal