Author Topic: F1 Zorst  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
F1 Zorst
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
I figure most F1s around now are fitted with Motad 4 into 1s, My F1 rebuild is approaching completion and I have just got around to fitting the Motad but, um, I can't seem to make it fit! The problem is with cylinder 2, the supplied pipe binds against the others and if inserted into the silencer it won't seat in the head and vice versa. I suspect an incorrect pipe may have been supplied and have mailed Motad for advice, just wondered if anyone else had had problems or has any advice, its always on the cards I am doing something dumb! ( I have tried swapping the pipes for cylinders 2 & 3 but thats worse! )

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: F1 Zorst
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
OK lack of replies I think tells the story that no one else has had problems, would be very surprised if they had to be honest, points further to a rogue pipe I think.

Factory were very helpful and happy to check it over under warranty so it will be winging its way back shortly

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:07:15 PM »
Pipes from Motad used to have numbers on the end that slipped into the collector, but have a feeling they were numbered the opposite way round to Honda for some reason----been a heluva long time since i fitted one so don't quote me on that

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »
Thanks Bryan,

Yes, the pipes do have serial numbers and I have checked it with the factory and it is the correct one and I am trying to fit it into the correct collector opening ( the only one with a pinch bolt ) so have returned the pipe for checking.

Have to say I was almost tempted to fit 4 pipes from another model as I have always sneakily preferred the sight and sound! 4 into 1s may be a bit more efficient but they always make it look like somethings fallen off the nearside of the bike in my opinion! Not sure if they would fit though ( I know the head fittings differ as do the footrests etc ) so decided to go the easier route. D'oh

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
Just to complete the story and ensure Motad don't get adverse publicity, returned the pipe and factory phoned me the next day. Apparently, it was a rogue pipe, it was actually a pipe for no 1 cylinder which had been incorrectly stamped with the serial for a No 2! what are the chances? just my luck. Anyway, replacement pipe arrived next day and fits perfectly.

Excellent service from factory and no quibbles despite the fact I bought the system over a year ago

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »
Always remember Motad service as good.

Do remember that the pipes will "Blue" no mater what your mixture is as they are only single wall pipes where the originals were twin wall to stop the excess heat getting at the finish

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 07:18:59 PM »
Thats a good result waggles, especially as its over a year ago you bought it

Offline davepainter

• "rollin-thunder"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »
Hi there last month motad had an as new 4-1 for an f1,on e-bay, as my bike is an f2 i rang motad to check if this would fit an f2,
they said the ONLY differance is the bracket that mounts the silencer to the frame.

it was a shop soiled pipe but good as new they even said they would supply the f2 mounting bracket.

ps start price was
defender

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:07:17 AM »
re:f2 exhaust fitting a f1 :o I have a sidecar combination with a f2 engine and I needed to weld the motad f2 exhaust the other week,in the mean time i thought i would fit a nice reverse mega 4-1 i had laying around off a early CB750 (1970) , i am positive these are the same size head ports as the f1, but smaller than the f2,and on closer inspection the downpipes of my 4-1 mega are too small at the head ports ,in fact i could fit the CB750 downpipes inside the the f2 downpipes,so i think motad could be telling you porkies >:( lucky you never won the auction i say ::) I'm sure someone else can confirm this as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal