Author Topic: Bike not starting  (Read 1458 times)

Offline stubobaloo

• View Profile
Bike not starting
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »
OK.. so - I've bought and old bike to learn about them and have a go working on them.

It's just as well, because I can't get the bugger started :

It's got a button start and a kick start - not sure if they all do but this one does.

The button start worked when I picked the bike up but the battery is now too low to turn it over... however - the kick start works occasionally, but then the bike runs for about 60 seconds (if I rev it) before eventually stlling again and having to go through 15 mins of kicking it before going through the same process again.

If I do get it going, once it's warmed up, it's fine, but it just getting it warmed up is a problem - any tips ???

thanks y'all

Stuart

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bike not starting
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
Whats the history of your bike has it been stood for ages or was it in regular use?, it sounds like you need your battery charging or replacing, and a full tune up from carbs cleaning to points plugs cleaning /replacing, air filter cleaning /replacing  and timing checking , at least then you will have a decent base to start from, cheers Mick.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:14:35 PM »
Your symptoms indicate blocked jets in the carbs, meaning that its running too lean to start properly.

However, if you are going to take the carbs off and clean them out, do the rest of what Mick suggests as well!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
Have a look down the carbs when the choke is on to see if they are all closing properly, (need to remove the air box to see this) as sometimes the choke plates can break off.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:29:01 AM »
Helps to know exact bike!

Offline stubobaloo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
Thanks all for the replies, and that's exactly where I'm starting...battery is now fully charged for starters and she's starting on the button (with a little encouragment) - BUT she won't tick over even on full choke until fully warm, so, going to now check everything else as you've all described above.

She's a 1976 CB 750 by the way.. pics to follow on my intro post on the newbie section....

Thanks all

Stu

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal