Author Topic: Are 'DIY' Ultra sonic cleaners any good for carb cleaning?  (Read 11970 times)

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
Are 'DIY' Ultra sonic cleaners any good for carb cleaning?
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has tried using the 'DIY' Ultra sonic cleaners you can buy these days?
Would they be effective on carbs? (assuming the cleaner tank is big enough!)

I see Maplins do some small units at low prices:-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ultra-7000-ultrasonic-cleaner-223108

http://www.maplin.co.uk/professional-ultrasonic-cleaner-8050-h-261248

Or, should I find a professional outfit, and send the carbs away for cleaning?

Andy C

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Are 'DIY' Ultra sonic cleaners any good for carb cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:43:37 AM »
One of my biking mates is a sub-aqua diver and uses these to clean the brass valves on his kit.

He's also a biker (VFR - so no carbs to clean) but says that they are ideal for cleaning the small brass parts and should work great on the carb bodies. Non-destructive and eco friendly. What more could you ask (other than one big enough to take a whole bank of carbs!)

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline basketcase

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
Hi, I bought one from Aldi a while back. Not big enough for the full set but I was wondering if it would be any good for a stripped set. I`m not sure what solution to use in it. I`ve used the pink vanish stuff that the wife puts in with the washing and it brings old coins and jewelry up a treat. but I don`t want to try it one my carbs in case it does damage.
Any thoughts anyone?
Cheers Nigel.
Do or do not...there is no try!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
I did some ultra sonic carb cleaning on a mates Yam carbs and did a write up on another forum here, you can see the results in the pictures.

Theres some links I posted in it that explain Ultra Sonic cleaning in detail.

Cleaning solutions? over the years I've used all sorts from industrial cleaning stuff like Swift which you have to watch very carefully as your carbs start to fizz its that caustic, or just a decent hand cleaner which was gentler on the carbs. The bath we have work will hold a full bank of carbs and has a heating element too, this gets the water up to 50oC
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »
I have a 4.5 litre heated ultra sonic cleaner with a timer purchased from ebay a few years ago. I've only ever cleaned one pair of carbs although all sorts of other things. It works well. When I cleaned the carbs I used a specially formulated solution for carb cleaning. I completely dismantled the carbs, put the jets and other small parts in a separate pot in the tank. It's surprising how much muck you find in the bottom of the tank when the process is finished when you thought what you put in the tank was fairly clean. There do make quite a bit of noise or at least mine does.

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Thanks everyone.
I definitely need ultra-sonic cleaning.
I'll report back once i find somewhere to do it for me; or I buy a (cheap) cleaner

Offline ChrisD

• CB750 K0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
Hi Guys.  Just a quick note re ultrasonic cleaner, have recently brough a JPL 8050 from Maplins and bunged in my carbs from my K0... really did work well needed a couple of goes and you can clean 2 carbs in the 2.5ltr tub,its at a good price at mo.. get the metal gleam for best results...

All the best Chris.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal