Author Topic: CB750 K6 - Air Filters  (Read 1406 times)

Offline stubobaloo

• View Profile
CB750 K6 - Air Filters
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
Hello all, getting excited about Christmas ???

So - I like the look of the 4 separate air filters people put on their bikes - the chromed ones - as opposed to the standard air box BUT my mechanic (top bloke in Kings Cross, London) reckons that it's not a good idea - they get wet, they are a pain to tune etc..... what do you all think ???

Thanks

Stu

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 K6 - Air Filters
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:59 AM »
"Pods" can be a pain to set up, and if they have the foam type filter wet can make a big difference, also personally I don't like the way the carbs hang on the inlet rubbers without the support of the airbox rubbers
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:03:04 AM by SteveD CB500F »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
I've never liked them either. Many of my mates in the 70's used them and they were always fiddling with their tune - trying to get the bloody things to run correctly.

Rejetting for a Piper exhaust was the limit of my skills (still is really...)

See avatar.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
Hello all, getting excited about Christmas ???

So - I like the look of the 4 separate air filters people put on their bikes - the chromed ones - as opposed to the standard air box BUT my mechanic (top bloke in Kings Cross, London) reckons that it's not a good idea - they get wet, they are a pain to tune etc..... what do you all think ???

Thanks

Stu

Folk have tried them on the cb1000 forum and they are crap.

Offline stubobaloo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
OK, thanks guys (and gals - just in case!;) - pretty conclusive, they're purely aesthetic!

Will keep the Air Box on and live with it ... cheers all!

Stu  :-)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:21 PM »
As all the other posters have said there seems to be very low good experience with that type of set-up, and it usually raises more questions than it gives advantages.

Some time ago I read a very well researched investigation into carb intake tracts, the upshot/conclusion of which was that the most beneficial design was a properly integrated bellmouth that has been designed for the application. Most types of individual filters discard the one bike makers provide and this seems to be the origin of the problems from then onwards in trying to cope with altered flow characteristic.

It seems to be that the bellmouths keep the airflow attached to to the sides of the carb bores and therefore make the best flow rate for a given carb size. In addition, they can have a significant effect on any low speed flow metering and it's this going unstable that can make it so hard to define what jetting works well if at all.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:48:45 AM »
I always found the biggest problem with bellmouths to be stopping small children and trouser legs getting sucked in!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal