Author Topic: next project  (Read 3131 times)

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
next project
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
Nearly finished my K4 and although have been split about how to do my next one a 76k, the price of exhausts is over 1k and it just aint worth it.

My other choice was to cafe it but went off that idea as well and made up my mind to do a decent cr750 replica, something with no lights, and racing exhausts, something for the nicer days. Being a 76 allows me to do most of the things you cant do on a more modern bike because of the legislation.

Anyway can't tear her down just yet until I do the dry build and mark up all the bits to come off and weld on bits.

Does anybody know where I can get parts for this at a sensible price, and since I want twin discs with my standard wheel does anybody know how to go about this. The proper brakes are over 1k each and I doubt my pockets are deep enough.

I don't mind purchasing the alloy fuel tank, seat etc, but was thinking I could make the oil tank myself using the fitments from mine. Is there a ruling on how much oil you can put in this tank before you risk flooding the engine, or any other parameters I need to take into consideration. I made a log burner/boiler, pressure tested it and it was fine so I guess that making a tank is simple enough. A drawing would be nice, with dimensions if anybody has one. Might even chop up my fuel tank, don't know yet.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: next project
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
Twin disc is relatively easy you just need to assemble the parts

(1) Disc
(2) caliper and mounting from same bike(this might be a problem as i believe the 76 was an odball)
(3) longer bolts
(4) modified speedo drive (If its going on the road)
(5) GL 1000 master cyl

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
Here's a useful intro to dual discs:

http://www.sohc4.net/?p=52

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
Here's a useful intro to dual discs:

http://www.sohc4.net/?p=52

Thanks for that guys.

Fokin wife done the sweeping up yesterday and swept up bits of my front wheel the bitch, just found out "after" the bin man has gone. Took me ages to find replacements. Probably deliberate, she's in the huff tonight because I'm working on it again, so going to move all my stuff out into my garage before she gets a chance to nick anything.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:11:41 AM »
Steve that link is good EXCEPT for the fact he has not removed the error about the 500 speedo drive working despite several comments GRRRRR!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:33:45 AM »
I don't think he's around any more Bryan.

I'll see if I can get Glenn to modify it. What should it say?

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:03:16 AM »
It should say you need the VERY early 750 drive plate or you need to modify the original so it drives off the two flats on the hub not the ears under the chrome plate mate. I did put up pictures on the how to i wrote.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 01:11:49 PM »
It should say you need the VERY early 750 drive plate or you need to modify the original so it drives off the two flats on the hub not the ears under the chrome plate mate. I did put up pictures on the how to i wrote.

Do you have a link to your thread mucker, just doing my research at the minute to see what it's going to take to get a decent bike together. The oil tank is in a bad place and need to make one. Have you ever modified a fuel tank without blowing yourself up, I don't think the standard tank is the right shape.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
I've welded tanks many times, I usually wash them out with paraffin to remove the petrol, then swill them out with soapy water, never had so much as a puff.

I remove dents by cutting 2"-ish holes in the bottom in the tunnel, knocking the dents out using a radiused end piece of wood and hammer, they can be de-dented to nearly original needing the tiniest smear of filler before paint. The 2" hole can have a patch welded on under where no-one sees it.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »
I've welded tanks many times, I usually wash them out with paraffin to remove the petrol, then swill them out with soapy water, never had so much as a puff.

I remove dents by cutting 2"-ish holes in the bottom in the tunnel, knocking the dents out using a radiused end piece of wood and hammer, they can be de-dented to nearly original needing the tiniest smear of filler before paint. The 2" hole can have a patch welded on under where no-one sees it.

Thanks for that, will attack it with my mig and angle grinder then once I measure it up

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
The link on the US site seems to have vanished, if you PM me with your e-mail address i will send you the original word document I wrote with picture of the speedo drive plate in it. It was written for the 500 four but the later 750 is almost identical

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal