Author Topic: Hello from Devon,new CB550F owner  (Read 1685 times)

Offline twohoots

• View Profile
Hello from Devon,new CB550F owner
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
Hi there,I bought my 1975 CB550F three months ago and been lurking and learning,been meaning to introduce myself,so here I am.As a time served (back in the 60s) Aircraft Engineer have been doing own maintenance on my two previous bikes since returning to two wheels four years ago.New to Jap bikes but always wanted a "four" and this meets my needs size wise,it will be a keeper I hope.

Just finished refurbing the clocks (last coat of paint tonight) cases opened, new dials and general clean up,from info gleaned here.
Been pottering generally,equiping myself with some tools,i.e new torque wrenches,Morgan Carbtune, timing gun etc.
Played with fork oil and amount,now rides smoothly,complete overhaul of front brakes, they work OK now.
Wheel alignment,Carb strip and rebuild with new gaskets,still some issues with idle,may need new float valves.
Bike now laid up for winter and plan top end overhaul(perhaps) after a look in the sump at the primary chain and also the clutch to see if I can track down the source of the rattle at idle ( I know its an issue with these bikes and can point to poor carb balance) but will investigate.
My cylinder pressures (warm) are 145,145,145 and 135 I think these are Ok and within limits of serviceability, but the low reading on four gets me wondering if I should do a top overhaul over the winter.
Bit worried about removing tight bolts into alloy housings,heard horrendous stories about these,have good quality bits,breaker bar and impact driver.
Sorry for the ramble hope you were able to stay with me
BTW have listed a "want " in the appropriate forum connected with "horrendous stories above",anyone help?
Thanks for reading this
Some pics:-

Twohoots (Stuart)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:33:12 PM by twohoots »

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Devon,new CB550F owner
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »
Hi Welcome to the forum.

Very very tidy machine - a credit to you.

One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »
Hi twohoots Welcome to the site , great looking bike you have there
Pete

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 07:06:43 AM »
Hi Stuart, great looking bike, the picture in front of Paignton pier is especially good :D I'm only about 20 miles up the road in Woodbury, (about 4 miles south east of Exeter) perhaps we can meet up after all this xmas crap is out of the way, there are quite a few nice old sohc bikes around here, be nice to see how many we can get together for a photo session. Is your bike an import? The indicators and handlebars, and the excellent condition of your stock exhaust certainly make me think so! ;)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline twohoots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
Hi all ,thanks for the warm replies,Hi Hairygit,yep not far away,good idea to have a meet up sometime but I think the bike may be off the road for a few months early in the year,but we can certainly keep in touch.

You're right about it bening a import from USA 1989 to be precise,unfortunately no prior history,though the DVLA have furnished me with various paperwork going back to then ,with names and addresses (then ) of all previous owners (

Offline twohoots

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
Oh BTW Hairygit, Paignton prom a month ago,much more lively on a Wednesday bike nite in the summer,do you attend?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
When I get the chance! Unfortunately being a coach driver my working hours often change at short notice and completely screw my plans up! But I do get there whenever I can, always using the A379 as it's far more fun than the A380 ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal